Sold / Found / Inactive - Original 1980 XS 400 Special II Low Miles $400

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
1850 miles on this all original piece. Has been stored for 5 years and some components are rusty. It needs kickstarter shaft replaced and probably a stator(which I have) Starter not working from button but solenoid is corroded. Will need front brake lever assy ( rusty). Vehicle ran when put away but charging system issue. I am unable to kick it through as kickstart does not work. I will spray oil down cylinder sleeves to help engine free up. Bike is all there just needs some clean up and love. I am in Upstate NY.

Post some pics of the bikes. So the motor if frozen at this time? Is the case journal broken in the motor the reason why the kick starter will not work?

I have just started to address any and all of these questions, I will have to take a look at the case journal. The bike did start with the electric start before it was put away. I jumped the solenoid yesterday and you could hear it moving the engine but it was working to do it. I have put oil down the cylinders and will try it again tomorrow. It is raining hard this morning here! I will post bike pictures as soon as I figure out how!

y4.jpg
y1.jpg

Attachments

• y2.jpg
    y2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 215
  • y5.jpg
    y5.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 232
  • y6.jpg
    y6.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 221
  • y7.jpg
    y7.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 255
As I believe you expected, the case journal had indeed been broken prior and the shaft simply filling the hole in the case. When I removed the cover there was an additional piece that had cracked thru and when I pulled the shaft out it fell to the bottom of the case. I tried to fish it out but I am not able to yet. If I can clear the pieces from inside the case is the motor still salvageable as a electric start only bike or do I need to start the process of a rebuild or replace?

As I believe you expected, the case journal had indeed been broken prior and the shaft simply filling the hole in the case. When I removed the cover there was an additional piece that had cracked thru and when I pulled the shaft out it fell to the bottom of the case. I tried to fish it out but I am not able to yet. If I can clear the pieces from inside the case is the motor still salvageable as a electric start only bike or do I need to start the process of a rebuild or replace?
The pistons were NOT seized in the cylinders as we thought, the turn freely.

This Bike is NO LONGER FOR SALE. I am going to replace the engine with one I have from another 1980 XS. This motor has a broken kickstart journal so I will use parts from this to get the other running correctly and replace the cases and overhaul this engine-thank you for your understanding.

Back