overhaul or let it be?????

sharkbite6000

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So I have a 79' xs400 that I drug home for free that has been sitting behind an automotive shop for 25 years. I am in the process of learning all I can about the bike and collecting parts to turn it into a "Brat" style bobber. The bike is Kick start only and it turns freely and has 8300 original miles on it. My question is regarding whether or not I should pull the engine apart and overhaul it or just try and get it running as is? I know the original owner of the bike and he says that the bike ran just fine when it was parked because he outgrew the bike and upgraded to a bigger one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated concerning what direction to go with getting the bike running....

try and get it running first i'd say..usual..clean the carbs ,tank,tasp..change oil and filter and set the points and go for it

:agree: get it running, after lubing the cylinders and priming the oil around the engine!

:agree: Please don't try and start it without doing so. I would hate to see a new member leave my new favorite community with a "Well.... the pistons are bent, I snapped the crank, and my crankcase caught the pieces and blew to pieces of it's own :doh:" post. :D

Welcome to the community and good luck with your new favorite bike :bike:

:thumbsup:I would have to vote on the side of these guys, they are great bikes, and im currently rebuilding one i fired up after 15 years of sitting without even changing the oil. I'm thankful for the knowledge its given me mechanically, but the 80+ hours of work ive put into it are laughing at me right now. So change your plugs, change your oil and lube before you start it up. Also take the side covers off by the chain, you might find dirt and bees nests in their like i did.

Thanks for the info. I was planning on changing the oil for sure and as far as "priming the engine" is pouring a little oil through the spark plug holes and kicking it a few time sufficient? Or should i do more than that?

Posted via Mobile

At "full-pour" from a quart of oil I would do "One mississippi" for each hole and yes but make sure to kick it with the kill switch off ;)

If you pour too much in I want to see a video clip up here of all the smoke blowing out of the pipes. (if it would even start)

Goodluck! Hope you get her running. Can we get a picture?

I say that your best friend is gonna be this baby
101077_front200.jpg
which you can get at Mejier for about 3 bucks. Spray some of that in the cylinders and it should loosen up real quick (btw, it's what freed up my cylinders after it seized). Best. Investment. Ever.

I actually have some PB in my garage that I figured would be used alot on my project. As far as the oil in the cylinders I wasn't planning on kicking it live, just enough to recoat the cylinder walls and loosen up the rings. I want to make sure the compression comes back before I give it any spark. I am working on some pics and I will post plenty of updates throughout the project and share any tricks or tips I think might help others. Just be patient cause I am gonna round up most of the parts before I start hacking it up and transforming it.

I am about to do the same thing to my '79 and what I read was to put a table spoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in the plug holes and get her up on the center stand or back wheel off the ground, and click her into a higher gear (5th/6th gear?) and turn the wheel by hand. This should lube the cylinders or tell you she isnt seized up.
You also need to go through the fuel system from the tank to the carbs, fuel lines
air filters ect. or you will suck all that garbage into the carbs.
Change the oil and change it again pretty soon.
New plugs properly gapped,new battery and fresh fuel with about half a cup of 'Seafoam' brand fuel system cleaner. Expect smoke from the Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders.
Run the engine easy low speed or idle even until it wrmed up. Then change the oil again in about a week.
That is what I read somewhere and sounds pretty good to me

FYI
when I first kicked up my tracker with the oil pressure gauge fitted, it took abouit 1/4 hour with no spark plugs in to get the oil pump primed (the kicker only turns the engine 1.5 revs) and got to about 20 psi

Back