Paint Engine block???

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So i've been searching around and I can't find any information about painting the engine block. I suspect it's a @#@ to paint all those little fins but Still i'd like to know if it's possible to do at home. I'd like the modern style of black fins and a chrome edge. How is this done?

full

Oh that's fantastic. I thought somehow you had to paint the edge of the fins with chrome. To paint he crevices of the fins do u use high temp spray paint or do u have to use a paint brush

the easiest way is to spray bomb it with engine enamel then sand the edges like thlillyr said. When painting the engine make sure it is super clean and grease free and dry. On a previous project i used etching primer on the block first to make sure the paint wouldn't bubble. Then lightly dust the engine with the black enamel as an "adhesion layer". Once that is almost dry, go ahead and paint a full coat then let it dry and do a second.

polish the edges first, then any stray buffs will just get painted over.

the engine needs to be really vclean or the paint would lift like a whores skirt (yep, that easy)

I recommend PJ1 case paint and it don't need any primer and cures really good via engine heat, even has some resistance to oil and gas (if you don't wipe it off)

when your painted, just wipe the fins with a cloth to show off the polish before the paint fully dries!

Awesome. PJ1 I'll remember that. How do I Buff the edge of the fins? Do I just use sand paper? What grit? Or do i use like a buffing wheel or something.

sand with a high grit count just till you see the metal showing through then buff with a cloth wheel. thats what i'd do anyway

Awesome. PJ1 I'll remember that. How do I Buff the edge of the fins? Do I just use sand paper? What grit? Or do i use like a buffing wheel or something.
I used 400 wet/dry on the fins on my dirt bike. It turned out well ,though I discovered a couple of broken fins and had to weld them back on,not really easy to get straight.After a diversion like that,they came out really well.I used 1200* paint and 500* clear over that. lha

I used a hand file first and angled slightly to face upwards. Then wet and. Dry , final buff using a drill and polishing mop.

Posted via Mobile

I can second on having to clean the engine first - that thing about the whore's skirt is happening to my bike

didn't clean it at all though, I was lazy :laugh:

tried to sand of the edges this weekend like in the OP, but it ended up horribly because half of the paint from the rest of the fins chipped off as well

Back