Paint scheme ideas???

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have an 80 special and I am restoring it. Unfortunately I can not afford the cost of chroming so any part that would normally be chromed will now be painted. I am asking you for some ideas for the painting scheme. I don't want a cafe race look rather I would like a more modern look I will post an example picture but am curious to see what you guys have seen/done/just a good idea. Pictures always helpful. Thanks.

I wouldn't say there are any parts that are considered "typically chromed", because really you can chrome just about anything on a motorcycle. If you still want some shiny metal on there, you can polish anything aluminum to a high lustre. However, if you're going for all painted surfaces because that's what you prefer, then paint on friend.

Green, yellow, black and polished aluminum

You could really make a statement with some textured spraypaint...I'm thinking the hammered bronze spraypaint or something...

If you can afford it, powdercoat the frame and maybe the rims the same color and a coordinating color for the tank, forks, side covers, fenders, etc.

Go with a color scheme from your favorite team...I'll be doing Crimson and Cream when I need my seat reupholstered. ;)

Thanks for the replies. Drewpy ive seen pictures of chrome powder coat and i think it looks more of a silver than chrome. Pork chop I am liking the idea but it's kind of hard to visualize can you find some example pictures please.

my tank...

C005E0E7-3913-4370-AFE9-831576018F08-3419-000004704C14F5F3.jpg

EB4BA1A7-0761-4C60-8035-101DFCD53961-3419-00000470524D7C3A.jpg

Back