Painting Exhaust [Chrome to Flat Black]

SoraXS400

1982 XS400
Reaction score
So, since my other thread for replacing the exhaust with a straight pipe didn't go so well for me :laugh:

I plan on now de-chroming the exhaust and painting it flat black with heat resistant paint. The problem here is de-chroming. I have a few body shops nearby but I'm not sure if they would de-chrome the exhaust. Has anyone done this by sand blasting or doing a chemical bath yourself?

Along with the chrome, there is a nickel plating underneath, as well right? The nickel plating doesn't come off in the chemical bath for the chrome, but would sand blasting this work?
Thanks for any feedback. I have a day of other painting to do today :banghead:

From everything that I've read the best bet is to have a chroming shop remove the chrome with a reverse dip process. That being said, I have also read that scuffing the hell out of it with some 300 grit and then spraying it with a 2K epoxy primer is also reasonably effective. I'm sure sandblasting would also work for you, but I don't know how long you'll be at it. I guess it depends on how well the parts were chromed to begin with.

I really want to paint my shocks black, but I haven't taken the plunge on trying that yet

I am in the same situation right now with getting the chrome off my headers.. Im de-rusting right now. Im leaning towards using a belt roll of sandpaper to get the chrome off by hand and finishing the details with a power tool. I gently scuffed the chrome and i can now see some of the nickel finish. Seems the chrome plating is very thin.. unless its just coloration from heat.

I plan to finish off with VHT paint

Wasn't the exhaust but I just took a few parts into a DIY sandblasting shop.
Blasted the chrome on my chain guard. Gave it a nice texture for painting. Primed it and painted.
Looks pretty good.
After an initial derusting I can't see why something similar wouldn't work on the exhaust, as long as you can fit the pieces into the blasting booth.

Wasn't the exhaust but I just took a few parts into a DIY sandblasting shop.
Blasted the chrome on my chain guard. Gave it a nice texture for painting. Primed it and painted.
Looks pretty good.
After an initial derusting I can't see why something similar wouldn't work on the exhaust, as long as you can fit the pieces into the blasting booth.

I noticed that on my bike the header pipe is not chrome, but rather a dark red or stained gray. It's very pitted and when I take a piece of steel wool to it, it doesn't shine up. Would this be fine to paint over after sand blasting? I can get a picture if needed.

Back