Parts bike turned resto

brownv1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not supposed to be in my egine

I pikced up a canadian xs400 (best i can tell: 2OL and paper work) for a parts bike but turns out its too nice. This bike is geourgeous but the engine seems to be ****. This is more a classified add but I know few read it. I havn't pulled the engine apart but it looks like the top end is trash or needs boring(spelling?). I'm in GA does anyone know of someone looking for a bottom end and or selling a top end? TRADE?? Thanks for the input.

I'll have a pic soon

Last edited:
For what it's worth: I've heard of machinists putting new sleeves into motorcycle top ends to repair the cylinder walls, though you would need to get new pistons & rings I think.

Don't forget to check the classifieds section yourself! I recall seeing a few part outs there.

yeah like I said havn't taken her apart yet to see the damage. I know I can prob get it into a shop to have it fixed but I think finding parts might be cheaper. I've got tons of posts. in the classifieds just no responses

yeah like I said havn't taken her apart yet to see the damage. I know I can prob get it into a shop to have it fixed but I think finding parts might be cheaper. I've got tons of posts. in the classifieds just no responses

is does help putting where you are from in your details under your avatar

I just got 5 engines the other day any two are runners I will be posting parts from them in the classified section here soon, keep your eye out:wink2:

Last edited:
An old Yamaha factory up the street had these lying around.

Attachments

• engines.jpg
    engines.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 152
Good news today! Took the rockers off first cause I assumed bad things but got it off and looked great so I drained the oil and she turns over(do this first next time). I'm gonna be getting her all apart cause somethings not right. It turns but makes a squeeking noise. Sounds like its coming from the left cylinder or inside the crank. When I do this I can kick it a couple times and then the kick locks up again(reason I first thought it was seized) till I turn the crank bolt. I can repeat this process as many times as I want with the same results.:shrug: Was wondering if anybody has had these symptoms and knows what it is? I know its gonna be imposible to diagnose through a computer but I strained my back and now sleeping is near impossible so I figured I'd write about the good news and MAYBE someone had this problem. If I figure it out first I'll let everyone know.

Might be a good idea to look further and see what's making the crank act that way before kicking any more.It could be that you have a piece of piston skirt in your crank area making that sound,waiting for you to kick it just right,then bigtime FAIL!!!!!!

I would take it down till you find what is dragging. You could cause more damage by trying to keep moving it.

Yeah I didn't kick the hell out of it just enough to know that it will a time or two then bind. My plan is to get it all pulled apart but like I said in my last post hurt the back so she may sit a couple days.

I don't think its a broke piston like I said its a squeak not a grind. Sounds like rubber almost but that's impossible unless a prior mechanic left something in there. But all ideas are entertained I'll let you know how it goes.

Got the heads off and found this...
IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

Not sure what I'm looking at never seen the inside of an engine like this. With my little knowledge I'm guessing carbon build up? Any you mechanic guys know what happened to this engine. The right cylinder looks like it just has gunk that'll clean off. The left and exhaust valves look terrible. I'm having troughle getting the cylinders off so cant tell if the rings are good and what the cyl walls look like. Assuming the cylinder walls are fine are the pistons and valves salvageable? If so what cleans them?

Last edited:
nah, its the carbon.

get a brass wire brush into a drill, you can buy decarboising brushes in a set of 3 cheap!

don't take the valves off yet, but get in there with the brushes, it'll be hard work getting it all off, but the alloy will be ok due to the brass being softer. Wear glasses too as that shit gets everywhere.

stuff some rags in the cam chain tunnel and block off the oil ways and do the same with the pistons.
scrape all the gasket off ( i use a stanley knife blade with no handle) and carefully scrape the gasket off

take out valves and put each one in a drill and switch on and use wet and dry along the shaft and inner face to get the carbon off there!

clean up the inlets and exhaust ports. lap in the valves. new gaskets and your good to go!

:D

thats what I was hoping to hear but what it sounds like is I shouldn't take the cylinders off just clean the pistons where the are? If I do need to remove the cylinders how on earth do you get them off? I feel like I'm hitting the shit out of them and nothing, any tricks?

leave the cyls on, unless you want to check the rings or hone the bores. either way clean the pistons BEFORE you take the cyl head off

Back