Parts Interchangeability

snoggle

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hell Everyone,

I'v been coming on here for a while to do my research whenever I'v had a problem with my bike. I can not say enough about how helpful this site has been for me ever since I got my xs this past spring. So here is my first post reaching out for help and hoping to start a long continuing thread that can be helpful to others.

I recently managed to shear off the "bolt" tip to my swing arm pivot shaft when riding. I knew something was wrong when my bike wanted to go sideways whenever I accelerated. I Limped it on home to find that the shaft was half way out and only supporting one side. My question for all of you is; How much interchangeability do I have with Frame parts for my 79 xs400 F? I'v read in other posts stating that there is quite a bit of interchangeability between the 650s and 400s , but I want to know what has actually worked for all of you? what have you used as a direct bolt on and what have you modified to work and how? Final question is what should use to fix my broken pivot arm shaft? Kit with new bushings and pivot arm assembly, or a needle barring kit? Where should ? get it? is 650 assembly ok to use? E bay ok to buy from.. ?

Last edited:
Here is a list of all the bikes that use that same pivot bolt...

1973 TX500 REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION - CHAIN CASE
1973 TX500 REAR ARM REAR CUSHION CHAIN CASE
1974 TX500A REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION - CHAIN CASE
1974 TX500A REAR ARM REAR CUSHION CHAIN CASE
1975 XS500B REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION - CHAIN CASE
1975 XS500B REAR ARM REAR CUSHION CHAIN CASE
1976 XS500C REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION
1977 XS500D REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION
1978 XS400E REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION
1978 XS500E REAR ARM-REAR CUSHION
1979 XS400F REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION
1979 XS400_2F REAR ARM - REAR CUSHION - CHAIN CASE
1980 XS400G REAR ARM - SUSPENSION
1980 XS400SG REAR ARM - SUSPENSION
1981 XS400 - XS400H REAR ARM - SUSPENSION
1981 XS400SH REAR ARM - SUSPENSION
1982 XS400SJ REAR ARM - SUSPENSION

Wow... Thank you for this information. I'm glad i didnt make any purchases yet. I was thinking that there was some interchangeability between the 650s and the 400 pivot bolt.. Where do you suggest I get it.. I was looking on Ebay.. Apparently there are quite a bit of parts to this assembly.

I would honestly suggest Ebay, at least you can see what you are getting. Or if you might have a salvage yard close to you might be an option too.

I checked that link that XS400NJ posted to Ebay and it leads to a set of bushings for a 650. Your list doesn't show any 650s. Are the bushings the only things that are interchangeable? It's alot easier to find parts for the 650s than 400s.

Thank you for Clearing that up for me. I guess i thought there was more interchangeability because the Needle barring kit on MikesXS says it will work for 650 and 400s.

Yes those will work also be I have not heard many good things about them and for the cost your much better off with bronze ones.

Back