Passenger Backrest for '82 SX400R?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My wife wants a quick-detach backrest for when she's riding with me. Anyone know where I can find one for my model? It has bracings on the side (towards the back) and on on the rear above the tail light.

Anyone?

I'm considering hittin' a hardware store and fashioning a simple 3-point bracing and then devising some sort of cushion, unless of course there's already a backrest for my model.

Zero progress here because of, well, zero effort. A friend pointed out that they make seat-pan back rests. Namely, I open the seat, place the backrest, close the seat and BOOM ... done.

Easy on, easy off.

Anyone seen this? If so, where can I find one?

My idea:

If you don't have a "grab bar" behind the passenger seat get one of those. Affix vertical bar to grab bar. Affix passenger backrest pad to vertical bar.

How you attach the vertical bar is the only real problem. Use hardened hardware with locking washers, etc.

I'm with you, there. This kind of thing I know I can handle if I can just figure out what components to invest in. I DO have a grab bar but it's a little funky.

Basically, my grab bar sticks out on the right and left but is flush with the seat at the top. I've attached a picture.

My thought was to use some form of clamp on either side that then extends to a center bar location. Then, up she goes.

The question is, what parts will work? I was visiting the local hardware store and couldn't make heads or tails of an approach.

tail.jpg

Moreso, I'd STILL prefer a stock "universal" rest that goes underneath the seat (lift seat, place backrest, close seat).

Hey buddy if you can't find one, i have the same bike and I'll go out tomorrow to draw up a diagram of how you can fashion one yourself, would you like one that for the passenger or for the rider?

oh okay, now I saw the passenger thing. I'll go take a look at it right now, it might require some upholstery work on your end, basically putting padding on a board and stapling some vinyl around it to give it that stock look. I might even make my own and show you how I made it if I got the time.

I've read here and there about the upholstery part. That doesn't seem to far of a reach. Padding, desired covering, plywood, industrial staples ... no prob.

You say you have the same bike? Is it an 82 R-type? If so, cool!

Let's see if we can just get that darned rear vertical bar happening. After that, I've got ideas that I'm going to start reaching for.

Basically, my long-term goal with this is to make use of the two grab bars as much as possible for general strength, run that at two nicely contoured angles to the vertical point where the rest will go followed lastly by a rear rack that will hold a tail bag (behind the passenger).

If I can a) get this happening and b) get this looking good I'm going to be one happy man! :D

By the way, my apologies about my grammar. I'm usually a grammar snob but am sick as all hell. My prescription is a damn good time, though!

Hehe I'm sick as well and I got a good prescription to, and yeah I got two '82 Seca XS400RJ's, my grab bars are identical. I managed to fall asleep all day from my anemia but I did take some measurements last night, should be very easily do-able. I'd love to make one as well.

I'm going to visit a fabricator tomorrow. Depending on what we come up with, I'll make sure he keeps the design to create one on-demand.

I see three ways to do this ...

1) Attach a mount at both sides where the lift bar is attached (there are two holes, one on either side). Then, have an upside down "U" brace to give it more sturdiness at the grab bars (the rear bars). From there, a perforated vertical bar can be placed to handle both the backrest and a rear rack.

2) MY FAVORITE: Attach a simple square bracing to each of the grab bars and do the same thing as above.

3) Create an under-the-seat "lip" which fastens in the described fashion ... open the seat, place, close the seat, go. I think that while this one might be the most aesthetically pleasing, it may very well also be the least sturdy.

Now, I'd be PERFECTLY willing to do this myself but can't figure out where to FIND this shit! LOL

I need parts!

Just went to the fabricators to discuss ideas.

His suggestion (and I'm going through with it) is to ...

a) get hold of a second grab bar (the passenger grab bar)
b) let him weld a mount for both the backrest and a rack to it

... all for between $50 - $100 :)

Back