Pet Cock repair kit

PEPXS400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would anyone have a line on a pet cock repair kit?
Pulled mine apart and it is in need of parts.
Found some on ebay, but none of them look right.
Thanks!

If the eBay ones don't look right you should figure out whether you have a stock petcock or something else. What year/model of bike?
Someone might be able to confirm from photos.

I ordered and installed an ebay repair kit for my xs360 over a year ago. Everything went together perfectly and worked flawlessly. There's a slight leak now but after taking it apart and noticing some damage to the interior rubber seal I suspect it's because it sat for a while with ethanol gas in the system.
I think it'll be OK after I reseat the seal and reassemble.

Sorry for the delay! 1980 XS400 special is what the bike is. I will take photos tonight and post them. To me a repair kit should come with all rubber and the valve/diaphragm. I only see kits with the O-rings and the valve. This is missing the gasket for the tank and the gasket for the back.

On another note, is everyone's consensus not to use any gas that has ethanol?

Sorry for the delay! 1980 XS400 special is what the bike is. I will take photos tonight and post them. To me a repair kit should come with all rubber and the valve/diaphragm. I only see kits with the O-rings and the valve. This is missing the gasket for the tank and the gasket for the back.

On another note, is everyone's consensus not to use any gas that has ethanol?
Unless you tear the mounting O ring you shouldn't have much trouble getting it to reseal. The kit I bought a couple years ago had 3 O rings a diaphragm & a small spring for the shut off valve. For your other note Ethanol fuel is detrimental to our carbs & fuel system. It tends to eat O rings & causes corrosion in the float bowls. I still will use it but add fuel stabilizer & about 2 oz of 2 stroke oil to help keep things lubed

When you rebuild the petcock, be sure to verify the sealing surfaces are flat. They probably won't be. I use a thick plate of glass with 2000 grit wet paper on it and polish every flat surface until a perfect contact surface is produced. No leaks and a perfectly operating petcock.

2oz of 2-stroke oil in a tank of gas is a very small percentage and won't cause any issues other than minutely increasing the tailpipe emissions. It also will have very little benefit. Avoiding ethanol is a better option, if at all possible. We have discussed ethanol at length. Have a search and read.

There are two totally different kits on eBay I found that out the hard way. Make sure you order the correct one. Compare your diaphragm with the ones listed and look for where the holes are.

Yep Dave is right make sure your sealing surfaces are clean & flat It'll make the rebuild so much better. As for the 2 stroke oil it's really just a thing with me. I've had bad luck with ethanol in the past & I haven't had any issues with stuck floats or needles since I've been doing this. It most likely has more to do with the stabilizer than anything else. I also do this for a few classic cars I work on one is a supercharged Studebaker & it starts first spin most every time after hibernation

I'm having the EXACT same issue. I to have a 1980 xs special. My bike will only run on prime. If i switch it to on, it will run, but eventually stall out every time.
I just replaced the needles so I know its not that. Let me know how that kit worked out. So i know which one to get

If you're brave you could take your petcock apart to make sure that there's nothing in the way or out of place. Also you may just not have enough fuel in the tank. I've done this several times where I'd put some gas in it prime it & start it up. When I'd turn the valve it'd run for a few minutes & stall. I finally turned it to reserve & it continued to run. You have a sock type filter in the tank with a tube that's about 1 1/2 " tall and a second that is nearly flush. In run you are drawing gas with the taller tube till it's top isn't under the fuel level. In reserve you draw from the nearly flush tube just enough to get you a few miles to the nearest station

Back