1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Petcock threads face up and reserve blocked by tank????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buztabuzt, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Title says it . Tried rethreading multiple times and on right side faces up / in. Left side faces sideways, forced it to face slightly down but still not right.

Wtf? This is the 2 fast Moto replacement petcock $36 IMG_20190406_065302.jpg IMG_20190406_065321.jpg

Comedy of errors. How on Earth do you switch to reserve when it is blocked by the tank?!?? IMG_20190406_083012.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. sandmanred

sandmanred XS400 Enthusiast

Hmmm.

Two ideas to make it work would be to shorten the handle a bit or make a spacer that pushes the assembly away from the tank a bit.

3. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

With that lever in that position fuel should still flow. My petcocks came with straight fittings also. But that was a few years ago.

4. Fuel flowed at that angle, but not on reserve. Going to try to grind or Dremel the handle so it fits by the tank

5. Fyi, for those in similar bind in the future, I was able to use Dremel with cutoff disc and abrasive sander to create some clearance IMG_20190412_122749.jpg IMG_20190408_170120.jpg

6. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C Top Contributor

I have the same petcock, but it came with a straight and a 90 fitting and a blocking plug... i use the straight one.

The reserve flows from the same fitting, so you only need to use one fitting and then block off the other one..

The reserve setting is tricky at first. With the petcock mounted, you should be able to turn the reserve on by turning the lever all the way up toward the tank. The lever on mine, the reserve doesnt open until the lever is hitting the tank. It has just enough clearance .

7. Thanks Mike, I thought about that but with straight fitting it would be a longer fuel line in a C shape or s shape with my bike alignment.

The reserve didn't seem to cut in on mine and I figured this workaround would ensure I wasn't loosening the seal by forcing it.

8. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

This is how mine are routed. Make sure to use ethanol resistant fuel line and spring clamps. Even with Yamahas' fuel med I still use this type of line. It's flex-able and the clamps will keep pressure even after the hose warms up and gets soft. The screw type clamps are set to one size and won't adjust to compensate.
    DSC03640.JPG

buztabuzt likes this.