pickup coil

zonk39

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to check to see if pickup coil is working. I am trying to eliminate evertyhing. Thanks alot, have a great day!

I think they are hall effect which means a magnetic switch will trip a connection between the two wires.

try an ohm reading on the 2 wires and spin the engine to see the effect.

I think they are hall effect which means a magnetic switch will trip a connection between the two wires.

try an ohm reading on the 2 wires and spin the engine to see the effect.

Thank you very much for all of your help. I'm going to buy a new ignition unit. Hopefully that will work. Where are the wires to the pickup coil? Have a great day!

The manual does not list this part because it was a blocked off part (emissions control) Off a running engine I get .67ohms between the blue and orange wires as well as the blue and white wire and a total of 1.34ohm with the orange and with wires. I set the ohm meter to 20k ohm.

At the beginning of this forum there is a stickyed thread that has manuals. I downloaded the 82 electrical section. It has a trouble shooting chart. In one box it says to test the ohms of the pick ups. 120 ohms.
In the 81 diagram in the wiring diagram thread shows a red, a blue and a black that go into the pickups.
The black is a common connection. From the blackto the red should be the 120 ohms. The black to the blue should be 120 ohms. Test the ohms with the pickups unplugged from the harness.
You mention "off a running engine" do you mean you ohm tested while the engine was running?
You always do ohm test with out power on the circuit. Usually with the component unplugged. Voltage checks are done with power on.
Leo

Just found this, and tested with meter on 2k and got 650 on both.:) 700ohms +-150ohms

Last edited:
I unplugged the pickup and put the probes into it. You could put bits of old wire into each one just to make it easier to make contact. This test is for the 80-82 sohc xs400.

Back