Pilot Mix Screw “Seated”?

K Braun

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably a silly question, but when I read a guide and it says to screw it in until it’s just seated… What exactly is seated? Is that just before it takes any sort of torque to tighten it? Obviously you screw it in a decent amount if the guide says to screw it out for the setting right?

This refers to the pilot mix screws not your idle set screw. The idle set screw is a big screw either in the middle of the carbs or under the carbs depending on the year of the bike. If you have 77-79 carbs it would be a silver screw facing up next to the right carb. Your pilot mix screws are the brass ones at the front of the carbs next to the motor. Be careful as these type tend to get broken off in the carb bodies. I would check for that and make sure they are still good and pointed without any deformed or worn areas.

This refers to the pilot mix screws not your idle set screw. The idle set screw is a big screw either in the middle of the carbs or under the carbs depending on the year of the bike. If you have 77-79 carbs it would be a silver screw facing up next to the right carb. Your pilot mix screws are the brass ones at the front of the carbs next to the motor. Be careful as these type tend to get broken off in the carb bodies. I would check for that and make sure they are still good and pointed without any deformed or worn areas.
Yes, sorry I mislabeled the thread...pilot mix screw is what I meant!

Be careful not to change the size of the hole as this will make tuning a nightmare.

Back