Pilot screw o ring?

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to remove my carbs one last time for a cleaning as its getting warm out, I was reading a lot about the being o rings under the idle mixture screws on post 1980 models, I want to replace them, I removed the screws and there was just a spring, no o rings or anything else? Here is a pic of my carb. 2014-02-02-08-17-21.jpg 1982 sohc

The o-ring may be stuck in the bottom. Try a hooked wire to get it out. If you can't find one in there you will need to buy some. Is that pic your carb? There should not be a barb next to the mix screw.:confused:

What Chris said is good advice. Also look for the washer at the bottom of the well. I use a paper clip with one section straightened out and make a 90 degree bend at the end, 2 or 3mm is good. This homemade tool stays in my toolbox.

No I pulled that pic off interweb, it looks very similar, the screw is on top of carb closer to engine, is there I groove on the mixture screw for the o ring to sit? I can't seem to find a break down of it.

Ha ha that makes more sense, rather then trying to order that I have a big o ring kit from the auto parts store, I assume it only needs to fit tight around the mixture screw? And does it get installed in the order of the pic, first o ring then washer? Thanks for the help I don't want to screw this up . Looked on Mikes xs and it said BEWARE the o ring supplied might not fit, so I would rather try my own.

Put the spring, washer, then O ring onto the mixture screw before installing into the bore. Yes you want the O ring tight on the mixture needle but you also want it tight in the bore, this is why the correct size is important. These O rings have to be fuel resistant, that darn ethanol can eat up rubber parts.

I have seen people sell those o-rings on ebay for cheap. Just search 80-84 xs650 air mix screw o-ring.

Back