pipes?????

Aman77

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a '82 xs400 j maxim twin cam. I want to cut my mufflers off and leave the pipes like that to make it louder. Mainly so cars can hear me and so it will be louder than my girlfriends 150cc scooter. My concern is back pressure and if I will damage anything or loose power by doing this. The other option is to do a 2-1 header with a slip on, maybe, but Im pretty broke. Please help!

why not cut the baffles out inside the mufflers, they will look stock and still give you your oise. you may need to rejet and I'm sure they will pop on the over run.

the bike came with the baffles cut out but i still want it louder. if she pops without re-jetting it will i hurt anything?

yep, it's a symptom of a weak mix and possibly do some damage. be happy its got the correct mix and if it still pops, enjoy it

Chances are you will make your mixture lean and lean causes excessive heat. excessive heat can cause blued pipes, on the "don't matter so much" end and burned valves and seized pistons on the "it matters a whole heck of a lot" end.

i got my eye's on a set on universal turn out mufflers with removable baffles when i get them will let you guys know how they sound on my xs400 , i have the stock ones on at the moment but have not started bike since i just rebuilt the motor the other day :)

are you running pod filters also? im running into the same problem on my bike. no mufflers 2 and 1/2 inch slash-cut extensions and pod filter. it pops like crazy when i let off the throttle. diving into it today, i know for a fact that i have to up the jet size. you may want to look into doing the same if yours starts poppin after you hack off the old mufflers

Back