placing valve cover bolts?

Jester401

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1978 Yamaha XS-400 2E SOHC

I took my motor apart several months ago and finally had the chance to work on it today. It's been so long that when I went to put my valve cover on I forgot where to put the bolts. I have several that are the same length, two that are longer than all the rest and two shorter ones. I know the smaller sized bolts go in the six holes in the middle. Im talking about the larger diameter bolts that hold down the outside of the cover. I can't seem to find a place for the longer two bolts almost every hole I put them in seems to be too shallow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, on a side note, when I do tighten down the bolts. Am I supposed to tighten them in the same order I loosened the bolts or in reverse order. The manual has you remove them from outside in, should I be tightening from the inside out?

You're in luck, I just took my valve cover off earlier today. The two longer bolts go in the very front right and front left holes.

As for the torque order, the Haynes manual doesn't specify any order other than "diagonal sequence."
It's much more particular about the head bolts.

There is a specific order for the valve cover. It's in the manual. Pay attention to the 2 different tourqe values. And there are aluminum sealing washers on a few bolts

This is the loosening diagram from one of the service manuals. Sounds like you do have the diagram. This manual also doesnt say whether to reverse the order for reinstalling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-20-18-44-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-20-18-44-41.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 314
For loosening and tightening?
I imagine it wouldn't matter too much either way but if there is a more correct way.

It's the same for both. Careful placement of the cam position makes for even tightening all the way around as well

Back