Planning a big road trip. HELP!

JARichmond

XSively Addicted
Reaction score
Hey everybody. It's been a long time since I was a frequenter on this site, but I'm loving how much the community has grown since. Anyhow, I'm still alive, and haven't been run over yet. Now I come to you for advice.
Recently I had a turn of events that led me to become very close with someone who lives in Mexico, and we have been planning on seeing each other this summer for some time. We have made plans to meet in July in Cabo San Lucas in the Baja California Peninsula for a length of time. I've been wrestling with myself in terms of how I plan to get there, and have been doing some research on routes, points of interest, costs, and other items of importance. I'd really like to hop on my XS400 and go from here (South-Western Ontario) to my destination and back within a month. The route I'm taking would be about 6000km (only in one direction, my return route would be less) and would take around 7 to 10 days at the rate I'd be most comfortable with (again, just going there). I'm planning to stop in a number of places to rest and visit friends on the way.

I'm looking for some input from people who have tried riding for extended periods of time and own bikes with high mileage. Presently mine is about 39,000 km, but will likely be pushing 50,000 by the time I'm back.
1) What is your packing list?
2) I recall a member of the site had built custom saddle bags and wound up with speed wobble after overloading them. What is the weight limit of our bikes?
3) How many hours is it safe to ride? I was planning on riding no more than 3-hours at a time.
4) Can I use this thread as a way to contact people who would be interested in riding with me a short distance? (I can post my planned route)
5) What other advice can you offer?

Notes: Assume my bike is in great condition. New battery with worked-through electrics, timing adjusted, valves adjusted, new tires, maintained chain, oil changed, all common seals gone through, CARBS ARE SURGICALLY CLEAN, fuel system replaced etc. Otherwise stock with factory sprockets, jets, intake, exhaust.

Wow! Your really trusting the old iron....no real advice except be careful and pack your bike evenly as possible. If you don't have a windshield strap a bag across the headlight also......Goodluck! I use my VTX for trips like that!

Riding about 4 hours max would be a good start,
stay off as much interstate as you can and take back roads as if this isn't already part of your route.
Weight limit Im unsure of but make sure you pack your saddle bags are even in weight.
When taking breaks stop and check your oil and tires.
Carry a tool bag with the most needed tools with you and if you can take a spare chain.
Enjoy sounds like a fun trip although I wouldn't want to try it on an xs400.Anyways if this plan comes together I wish you well and hope your trip is as enjoyable as it sounds.Oh take lots of pics to share when you make it back or have time to load them.:)

The first thing I would put in my bags are a tire repair kit with tubeless tire plugs and buy a very small electric air pump. I carry one that I cut off the cigarette lighter end, and soldered alligator clips. I even disassembled it to make it smaller and wrapped it up. Rain gear is a must.
How come you are only ridding for three hours? You're going to have to do better than that. You will know it is time to stop when your mind wanders..If it's a back ache problem then you should stop every one hour and walk about for 10 minutes. This will give you more duration.

As much as I've worked on my bike's reliability, I'm going to be praying a lot of the way.
I was only planning to ride 3 hours at a time because I figured I'd be stopping in a bunch of places to sight see and take pictures and video-log my adventures. I'm not worried about my back, as I'm a spry, young fellow. If others are able to manage 4-hours or more on an XS, I'm sure I could as well. I'd probably only be looking at 6-8 hours a day on it, however, just budgeting for time.
I was planning on taking:
A tire kit, some socket-wrenches, rain gear, a laptop and charger, clothes for a week at a time (I can do laundry in town), warm weather clothing, cold weather clothing, toothbrush/toiletries, spare shoes, a sleeping bag, a quart of oil, an empty 10L jerry can, a can of fix-a-flat, ear plugs, and a bunch of maps. Basically, I'll spend a day at Canadian Tire.
I'll also add an air compressor too.
A note, I do have saddle bags that came with my ride, but I don't think I ever got the mounting bracket, so I will have to look into that. I was planning on taking a hikers backpack if the bags weren't a viable option.

I bought these and have used them for the last year. Works great, no brackets needed. I bought the small ones, if you went bigger I feel like they would be too close the exhaust. You can't carry a ton of stuff but they are good for the basics. Maybe a cargo net to strap a backpack to the passenger seat would also be a nice option.

https://www.tourmaster.com/product/Nylon_Cruiser_III_Collection/Cruiser_III_Slant_Saddlebags/309/64

I also bought an old tore up seat pan off ebay then went to the fabric store and purchased 3inch foam and some vinyl. I shaped the foam to fit over the seat then stretched the vinyl across it and stapled. It ain't the prettiest but it is comfy and raised the riding position a little(I'm a tall guy.)

I think riding that long with a heavy backpack would cause fatigue. I'd also recommend earplugs and a light camelback sort of backpack, but really since the tank isn't so big you'll be stopping regularly for gas.

Although I've never used them, I believe there is tire plug kit that you can buy that comes with canisters of co2 to reinflate the tire. Since space is limited it may be a better option than carrying a compressor.

Good luck.

when you get everything together, take a 2 or 3 day trip testing everything before you set off! go camping or something. Also have a look here

Last edited:
you can replace those maps by using a smart phone with internet or a gps unit.I bought myself a megellan for $70 and I love the thing.Its dead on for accuracy and it will show you your route in progress as you drive along.You can mount it on your instrument cluster so its hands free.
Also make sure you have a passport for crossing the border,it used to pretty easy but ever since home security has been put in place even just going into the border towns of mexico can be pretty rough.I.d also check on the gun laws throught the states and see if you can open carry.Arizona is a major part of the drug running cartel and its pretty dangerous going throught the open areas these days.

I use my iPhone for navigation and streaming music to my Sena SMH5-FM Bluetooth headset. I'd strongly caution against using any built in navigation app that comes with a smartphone as they use a lot of data - and that will be exceptionally costly for a Canadian traveling through the U.S. I use Navigon and download any required maps before the trip. If you do take a cell phone, make sure to add a travel plan to your service before you leave.

You will need some way of charging your phone, GPS, headset when on the bike. I have a USB plug hardwired to my handlebar and a charge/sync cable to my phone which is mounted beside the master cylinder using a RAM mount. The phone is in a waterproof case (LifeProof) so I can use it in the rain. I also have a throttle lock "cruise control" so I can relax my grip when cruising.

Considering the length of your ride, either start with new tires and tubes, or plan on replacing them on the way. Your tires will wear quicker than you expect when the bike is loaded and you are riding for hours at a time. I have a patch kit, CO2 tire inflator, and 4 cartridges that I carry when close to home. For longer rides, a compressor is a must. Haven't needed to patch a tube yet, but it will happen some day. Bottles of oil and chain lube will also be required. I carry a 0.5L bottle for engine oil, and 0.25L bottle of chain lube that would do me for about 10K km of riding. I use Rotella T6 engine oil that is available at most every truck stop, Walmart, or auto parts stores. It can also be used as chain lube if required. Be sure to put the bottles in heavy ziplock bags to avoid a mess if leaks occur.

For tools, I made a list of all that I use on the bike and carry them and a multitool. Also carry tire spoons, a small pair of locking pliers, a good LED headlamp and spare batteries, spare fuses, spare bulbs, spare spark plugs, cotter pins for the wheel axles, spare fuel filter, spare master link for the chain, some electrical tape, a length of electrical wire, a bunch of wire ties, some mechanics wire, duct tape, some way of cleaning your helmet visor and glasses.

One should never leave on a trip like this without a credit card having a couple thousand $ credit available and a couple hundred $ in cash (safely stashed in various locations in your pockets and gear). Also seriously consider additional health insurance coverage. An accident in the U.S. could bankrupt you in less time than it takes you to get to regain consciousness.

That is all I can think of right now. Be sure to keep us updated on your preparations!

That's some good advice Dave you have to show us how to wire a usb plug in on our bikes.Im not sure how much battery time I have on mine but me using it in my truck going on long trips the battery has never went dead.I have a cigarette lighter plug in charger for mine just in case though.

Last edited:
Hope all goes well:) I would change the oil and filter when you get there. That motor will be working hard fully loaded.

I own an '82 XS400 and an '85 BMW K100. I've ridden the BMW from New York to Arizona and back, plus many trips up to New England and down to Virginia. I love my XS, it's a hoot, but I've never taken it on a multi-lane highway and I wouldn't dream of taking it more than 30 or 40 miles from home -- let alone on a journey where I'd need to carry rain gear, changes of clothes, and basic tools and spare parts. It's just not big and strong enough.

You're planning a great trip, but please look for a bike that's fit for the purpose. I'm partial to BMWs so I'd look for an old K75, K100, or R1150; there are many Japanese bikes that would be appropriate too, I just don't know them. Hang out on the ADV forum for a while and get suggestions there.

If you do stick with your plan to take the XS, do a bunch of simulation runs -- at least a couple hundred miles in a day, carrying everything you plan to carry on the trip -- to make sure you know what you're getting into.

Just my .02, I wish you all the best.

Bill

If you don't want to carry the weight of the air compressor take a piece of air hose that will reach from your rear tire to your heads. With one end of course an air valve and install on the other end an adapter from a compression tester......all you would have to do is take a plug wires off and take the one plug out and install the compression tester end. Either kick start or electric start to turn your engine over and you have a nice air compressor!

In North America, we have this misguided belief that "small" bikes (under 750cc) are only for city use. In much of the rest of the world, a 400 is a big bike. A 125 is a work horse in many countries, often being loaded to excess and ridden on roads we'd consider goat paths. I see no problem with riding across the country on a 400. Heck, the Dakar rally was won by a 450cc single, that survived 5427 miles of rally racing. Cruising our highways and country roads is a relaxing ride by any comparison. I know that the 360km ride to or from my cottage is no problem for my Maxim. That ride has me on major highways, country roads, and city streets.

I have confidence in my bike because I have maintained it excessively, and modified it to make sure it is as reliable as possible.

I'm also an inmate at ADVrider.com, and there are many who travel great distances on "smaller" bikes. :)

Only a couple things I can think of:
Gasoline vapours in the tire/tube.
Possibly damaging the ignition if the removed spark plug wire isn't grounded to the engine.
Running down the battery if cranked for too long.
Over heating the starter if cranked for too long.

100% agree with Dave on the supposed 'small' size of our bikes. That said, riding with a passenger, two side cases, a tank bag, and a top case will be tough on these bikes. The suspension isn't built for that kind of weight, the frame isn't stiff enough for that much top heavy weight and the brakes will struggle as well. It'll probably get you there despite all that, but if you do a lot of that sort of riding you will simply run into issues like your rear shocks failing and your brakes overheating.

Only a couple things I can think of:
Gasoline vapours in the tire/tube.
Possibly damaging the ignition if the removed spark plug wire isn't grounded to the engine.
Running down the battery if cranked for too long.
Over heating the starter if cranked for too long.

It can be done without much pain to the bike:

Gasoline vapours -> disconnect your fuel line while having the bike running, so it drains your fuel bowls and dies off.

damaging ignition -> make sure the spark plugs spark against the engine or frame instead

running down the battery -> fair point, but with a decently charged battery you could go a long way

overheating the starter -> possible, but if you take it slow (don't try to inflate in one go but have a few pauses) you should be fine

I would use cartridges over this method any day of the week. The risk of being stranded with a bike with both a flat tire and a dead battery is too high for my liking. If you use the cartridges you should be able to buy some new ones in the next town.

Last edited:
If the bike was new are had very low miles there would be no issue. With the age and miles on the bike it will be hard. I knew a guy that when he was young took a DT125 from new york to florida every summer for 4 yrs. Of course the bike was new then:wink2:

I totally concur with Dave and willem on the size of the bike not being much of an issue. I personally may not be inclined to do such a trip mostly due to my age and health related limitations these days. But depending on the OP's age, attitude and health anything may be possible.

When I was much younger, a bunch of us rode together on bikes ranging from 100cc to 750cc. Distance, weather and rode conditions were never deciding factors on where we went. Comfort was never discussed. Reliability was dealt with as needed. We all have nothing but fond memories and fun stories to tell.

If you are up for it and have some mechanical skills, I say go for it. You have plenty of good advice here on preparation.

Back