Plastidip

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of you guys used this paint? If so could you post pics, I wanna do my tank and fenders in flat black.

there are some pictures here
http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/list_messages/339675/0/0/plastidip

and you could try google translate ;)

but basically what theyre saying is that it works well for a lot of parts, you can clean the bike without cleaning it off, putting it on is easy. However, it's not fuel resistant or very durable. Where your knees hit the tank and around where you sit against it, it will wear off. There is a special plasti dip clear coat available as well, that helps a little.

I plasti dipped my control brackets (brake resivior and clutch perch). I have friends that have have done rims and they turned out really well. Its also not permanent and can be rubbed off.

I've used PlastiDip on all the chrome badges of my truck 2 years ago. I applied several light layers of black then a couple clear coats. I've seen the clear at any display where PlastiDip is sold. It looks the same but has a clear cap.

I clean the badges like the rest of the truck with a pressure washer, soap and a brush and have had no peeling or problems of any kind. None of them are anywhere near gas, though.

I recommend the clear coat and be careful with the gas nozzle. I've read it's easy to touch up but have not had that experience myself.

I like the pebbled look it gave to the tank the guy did here recently. I've heard the finish described as a "rubbery, satin sheen". That's pretty close to how mine turned out. You don't get a smooth gloss finish.

Let us know how it turns out (with pics).

Last edited:
PlastiDip is good stuff but if you do not prep the surface correct and apply enough coats than it will peel off. do you want the flat black look? if so use paint, and paint it..

You don't say how to prep the surface but I didn't prep my chrome badges in any way other than to clean them with alcohol. As I said, no peeling in 2 years for small pieces.

That's what I meant to say. If you prep the surface like your going to use auto paint the plasti dip would not peel so easy later down the road.
I would use auto paint and add extra accelerator to make it flash. Which would give it that flat look.

Back