Please help this old dawg - she won't run!!!

Thank y'all. Plans have screeched to a halt for now. Have pneumonia and doctor is threatening me with hospital admission if I don't stay out of my motorcycle shed. And my beloved wife of 50 years would definitely squeal me out. But, I'll be back soon with updates. This forum is the best ever!!! Again, thank you. Billy

Thank y'all. Plans have screeched to a halt for now. Have pneumonia and doctor is threatening me with hospital admission if I don't stay out of my motorcycle shed. And my beloved wife of 50 years would definitely squeal me out. But, I'll be back soon with updates. This forum is the best ever!!! Again, thank you. Billy

Well do you what you have to do so your you can get your health back.The cycle isnt going anywhere and you have alot of winter left to get things figured out on it

Health is wealth!

So you say you've never even heard a pop out of thus thing yet? That is surprising, because i have seen these motors trying sooo hard to start up, even with filthy carbs, poor compression, even with only one plug write attached! i recently picked up another 1980 g model which had Been sitting for 18 years in storage, still had gas in the tank! The motor was also stuck. All i did was drain the gas, replace the oil, press firmly on the kick starter to loosen the motor up, and it "popped" for me on that first kick! (of course, i pulled the carbs and degunked them, installed inline filter, and replaced diaphragms and carbholders before she started running right.)

My guess is that there is a fuel problem of some type. The carbs run factory lean, and for some reason, both sets of carbs i have encountered had float needle adjustments that were starving the system.

My suggestions:
1) Start using the kickstarter (moves motor faster initially, which will improve chances of starting). Do not engage throttle unless you get some popping, and then, only a little. If no change in result, try toggling the coke to half choke. With no change try full choke. Still nothing? Lets move forward...
2) pull carbs. remove all jets. soak and clean all passages with wire guage cleaning set and air compressor.
3) check float height. Should be 26.5mm above gasket seat.
4) install new alcohol resistant fuel line between carbs, and from tank to fuel rail.
5) install in line fuel filter (clear if possible. Slows you to see the flow of gas!
6) set idle. Sync. Set mix. Set idle. Check sync. Now set timing. Set idle.
7) ride the shit out of her! :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Billy you might be the grayest wolf in our pack. Feel free to tell us young guys what wont' matter when we get older. I'm working on staying fit and happy.

Drew-c; avoid body fat; sugar,and alcohol-not that I'm a virgin to any of these. I also believe that stress is a great killer. And, 1982, I can't blame my age. I regularly compete in AHRMA events, on my TSS Bultaco and 500 cc Petty Manx, even a now an then, podium finish. It's just that my mechanical skills are somewhat underwhelming. And to Tombo, your advice is so solid; thank you. Three more days of antibiotics for this accursed pneumonia, and I will start back to work on "El Gato." Remember guys, age is just a number (and I still have mostly brown hair, and can bench press 290). You're all such a great help, and I'm confident I'll be up and running next week. Thank you so much. The Old Dawg

Another tip dont abuse your body,mine has been both volunteerly and not just some bad things happened to me long story short.Im almost 50 I dont feel it most of the time,I dont feel younger either.once in a while I do.

'82; you're just a kid to me. I'm 72, and will be '73 in March. I also could tell some long stories of abuse that I (and outside influences - lymphoma, neuropathy, diabetes, etc.) have caused my body to endure. The point being; it is never too late to turn yourself around, both physically and mentally. But you have to want it - bad!!! And only you can do it. No Self-Help books or guru's can do it for you. If you love to ride, you better start NOW. We get some second chances, but not many. Ride on, brother. Billy

Tombo; my wife went shopping, so I slipped down to my shed for a minute. Pulled the old plugs from the bik; soaking wet, and fouled with funk. Put in a new set of NGK Iridium #BPR7E1X plugs, turned on taps (after checking for fuel flow), did not touch throttle or choke, touched starter button, and, voila!, it fired right up. The sound from those SuperTrapps was music to my ears. Short ride; this bike has been tuned to perfection. I had it totally flooded before; shame on me! But it's really running stout now. I have scanned and printed out the recommendations you sent me, and have added them to the file on this bike - very sensible, valuable information to save. Thank you so much for your help. Two more days of antibiotics, and then the Yamaha and I are going to disappear for a day. Billy

Well I dont want to turn this into strife thread but I`ll just say this I outlived things that should have taken me to the grave already and then some.So despite how I feel alot of the time I still consider my life blessed.You know the ole saying what dont kill ya makes you stronger,well thats my life basicaly.

Anyway Glad you got old dawg to fire up and run,great news.Mines all taken apart right now it will be good to hear it run again.

Billymac

That's great need! I'm glad my advice was valuable to you. I look forward to pictures, and a review once you get everything dialed!
/t
:bike:

Posted via Mobile

Yeah buddy! Once they run (and they always eventually do) they run long and fierce. Wishing you sunshine and clean lungs soon my friend.

PS. I cut out sugar, body fat (3 miles a day running,) and alcohol. One more thing, I cut out bullshit/stress too! Never been happier.

Yeah, 82. I've run since I was 17. The key is to let your knees rest for a day when you're young. As I got older I could not really recover from five miles every other day (plus I was a fat bastid) Now that I weigh less I can do 3 miles a day and my body is fine, no issues with my knees. I'm fortunate in that regard. Whenever I can't run I crank it out on my bicycle and I work a service industry job where walking all day is required.

But as I've said to others, the best way to gain weight is cable TV.
The best way to lose weight is to move towards the water.

Back