Oil light on, won't go into neutral..PLEASE HELP!

the81cafe

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So today it was 45 degrees out and I'd thought I'd take my cafe project for a spin around the block. Of course the battery was dead so after a quick jump start from my wife's car, she fired right up. I put it in first gear and started down the street. I went into second gear and the motor would rev but the bike barely wanted to accelerate. It would accelerate if I feathered the throttle, the same for 3rd gear as well. I rode it twice around the block (3 minutes or so) and was going up my driveway when I stalled it (thought I was in neutral). I went to put it in neutral and nothing happened, the neutral light wouldn't come on and to back up the fact that it wasn't in neutral (with the clutch lever at every position) I tried rolling the bike back and forth but it wouldn't roll as it was in gear. Then I noticed the oil light came on and stayed on. I tried starting the bike with the clutch in (still in gear) and nothing happened (i think there's probably a neutral safety switch).

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I can do to fix this or what the problem may be? This was the first time I rode this bike since purchasing it from its previous owner (he rode it 10 miles to my house the day I bought it with no problem). It does have a lot of play in the chain (it is getting replaced soon). I'm not sure if this is relevant.

I'd have a look at your clutch cable just down near the clutch assembly. From what I can think of it may be stuck partially engaged. The neutral safety switch wouldn't affect your ability to shift into neutral, but would affect your electrics. My best advice is to get your hands dirty and remove the clutch cover to have a look-see for yourself

you may also be in a false neutral, so the light might not come on.

check your oil level to see if you have oil too.

if you didn't drain the carbs, maybe they gunged up on you and need a clean! I drain my carbs before storage

Sounds like you need to check all aspects of clutch function: cable attachment - as noted, cable adjustment at lever and clutch adjustment behind rubber plug. Why not lube and adjust your chain properly now, even if you plan on a later replacement? It's the smart thing to do!

Also, do you know what kind of oil the PO used? I would drain it and replace with proper known oil. Lots of folks here use any name brand Diesel 15w40 oil. One of the best things you can do for your old design engine.

Back