Please tell me what's happening here

norrie

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what's happening here. Breather on the crank case is spewing oil. Oil was changed in January and I've probably put 1,500km on it since.
I have my provisional license test tomorrow. Perfect timing!!

31695212225_94ba165c53_b.jpg

30853628714_6d6fb35ddc_b.jpg

Last edited:
engine not ran hot enough. there's condensation in the gearbox, so an Italain service is what you need to give it

Make sure the vent hose is not pinched. If the bike has sat out or was ridden in the rain you may have water in the motor. Make sure the oil level is full( and the correct type/weight) to where it should be by checking it while the bike is on it's center stand. If the oil has been in there since January (almost a year) the motor may have a lot of water in it from sitting in a moist area or not being run hot enough to burn off the water. Anyway you look at it I would drain everything out of the motor including the sum and the filter and put in new. If you let the bike sit for a while like this you may find it locked up or other parts rusted inside the motor. Another thing I would be worried about is blow by from piston rings. If the oil is at a correct level and pushing that much stuff out there may be other issues. Have you done a compression test on the motor?

Haven't done a compression test. I'll drain it and put a new filter in. Could this be the result of putting a splash of Marvel Mystery oil in it? I'm guessing that's a strong possibility.
What's an Italian service @drewpy?

I am not sure if the mm oil did it but with a wet clutch I would not use it in the crank oil. 20w-50 bike oil for wet clutches is what it takes. As for the Italian treatment I think he means run the bike at red line or in other words run the shit out of it. All you really need to do is take the bike out for a nice long 50-100mile run/ride where the bike is at highway speeds (55-65mph). This will get all the moisture out of the bike and also burn off any carbon out of the top end. Short rides or a lot of idle time is the worst thing you can do for an old bike.

Took it for a quick HWY run and it seems to have eased. I'll do it again on the weekend. I'll keep an eye on it and might just change the oil when I switch this 400 top end onto it (currently 250) in the new year. Cheers guys.

Good call on going back to the stock air setup. The setup you where using is about the worst one you could have used on one of these bikes.

Good call on going back to the stock air setup. The setup you where using is about the worst one you could have used on one of these bikes.

Can I ask you mate, if I have one stripped thread with one of the bolts holding the bowls on the carbs, do you reckon that's likely to give me grief? When warm, my idle fades after about 4-5 seconds and I have to keep the revs up to it to stop it from stalling. Want to illiminate that from the possibilities.

A bowl bolt would only cause the bowl to leak gas out of the carb. It should not cause any running issues unless it it leaking very bad. I would fix it anyway you don't want gas all over the place.

Back