Points Gapping

khales

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm having some trouble getting my points adjusted correctly. The right side is set properly from my measurements but the left gap is completely closed. Which screws do I need to loosen to open the gap up properly? Thanks in advance for your responses.

There should be a reference guide in the Forum News area under the XS400 manuals. It's a good start that should have most the info you need.

You have to adjust the left first by moving the entire points plate, then adjust the right by moving the smaller plate that is screwed to the points plate. The two large screws that hold the points plate on are what you loosen to adjust the left.

So I figured I'd comment on this since I am having issues, I am not sure if I have a newer style head but none of the marks that I should be seeing to align are there..also I would guess I have a different than factory listed point set because both side are independently adjustable outside of the entire point plate...???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 758
This thread is about setting the gap between points contacts. There are no marks involved in that procedure.

There are timing marks under the alternator cover for setting the timing with the points.

Are you having issues setting the timing or setting the points gaps?

This thread is about setting the gap between points contacts. There are no marks involved in that procedure.

There are timing marks under the alternator cover for setting the timing with the points.

Are you having issues setting the timing or setting the points gaps?

After I got a clear copy of the service manual I recognized my mistake. I was looking for those timing marks in the points region. But then decided to switch to TCI so I do t have to worry about them anymore..:doh:

But I never did figure out what it was trying to say about adjusting the left by moving the entire plate, I have the main plate, then two small plates that are screwed to the main plate. Looking at it and then trying to find a replacement at a local dealer it looked more like a Suzuki or zawasaki points plate?

It looks just like my points assembly.

If you look closely you'll see the main plate, a smaller plate roughly half the size, and then the two plates the hold the contact breakers (points) on.

The main plate has one contact breaker directly attached to it which determines left cylinder firing. Rotating the main plate adjusts when the left coil discharges through the spark plug.
The secondary plate has the contact breaker for the right cylinder. Rotating this adjusts the right cylinder timing.

It is important to set the timing for the left cylinder first because any adjustment to the main plate also affects the right cylinder timing.

Does anyone know how wide the point gap should be?
I checked out the manual and didn't see it.
I might have overlooked it or it's not there.
Thanks in advance!

It's in there. Could be under routine maintenance or electrical/ignition.
Here's the Haynes section.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170608-101033.png
    Screenshot_20170608-101033.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 503
Back