points problem/ no spark

Orgoth225

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Well i have a xs 400 that I plan to convert to a cafe. It started first kick with no problem but it stalled. tried kicking it a few more times and nothing. checked the engine and all the mechanical problems and after an oil change every thing came up fine. I replaced the old plugs and it won't spark:banghead: . I have tested it with a multi meter (BTW it''s a 1978 so it has a magneto) and it gets a very low reading when I try to kick start. So I know it's getting power but no enough for a start. What component would have failed. On a side note the battery is pretty dead (7 volts when tested) but that shouldn't effect kickstarts right?:confused:

from what other members have stated and my own experience, you need a solid 12v to even kick start the bike. id start there.

hey orgoth. just picked up a '77 xs400 and we ran into a very similar problem. Turned out to be the battery, we charged it fully and were able get it started with minimal effort off of the kick. I would give that a try and work from there. Seems that the kick is dependant on the battery. Maybe someone with more knowledge would be able to give a better explanation as to why. Good luck!

Back