possible to convert rear to drum brakes?

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My bike is a 78e with front and back disc brakes but I'm wondering what it would take to convert my rear to the smaller (16 inch) mag wheel with drum brake?

I'm really digging the look of the wider beefier looking wheel on the back. I think they look great on the special models

Is it going to be difficult or even worth my time? What parts other than the wheel would I need?

Its not hard you will need a 16" swing arm, change a few mounting tabs and I think the brake petal and linkage. I did this to a xs650 a few years ago.

I just bolted the swingarm with the rear wheel on...There was no need to cut or weld anything...

I can do that...Will need a day or two though...I will try to get a pic or two also...

If your wanting to swap over I am going the hardtail route and would be willing to sell the swing arm, brake, brake brace, rim and a nice tire.

If your wanting to swap over I am going the hardtail route and would be willing to sell the swing arm, brake, brake brace, rim and a nice tire.

Im def interested in doing this to my bike if the price is right....if its going to cost me too much in parts then I may just push it off until spring...Christmas is only 6 weeks away!!! Cant believe it.

I dont really know what parts are worth beyond Ebay. Shipping is going to be a pain though. Throw out a number and I will see if its something I am interested in.

Back