Problem with rocker arms screws

Scorpio1963

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
As stated in the title I have a problem with the rocker arm screws coming loose.Can I use locktite on them to keep them from backing off or is this not a good idea?

I haven't been into my rockers yet but isn't there a lock nut on the adjusters? I would just make sure the lock nut is snugged up tight after you make your adjustment.

Don't use lock-tight:yikes: Just snug the lock nut up tight enough to hold but not to tight as to deform the bolt or be unable to loosen for a future adjustment.:wink2:

Chris I have done exactly as you stated but they are coming loose still:shrug:I nhad one that almost totaly unscrewed off the nut when I was riding the other day.:yikes:

ahh right

i dont have one, was just curious what it was but it belongs to your magical shimless valve lash adjusters :)

I remember when someone else had the problem but I dont remember how they solved it?Usualy I tighten them down till they are snug then a little more.Its only happening on the right side exhaust valve.

Thanks Drewpy that would explain it,so the next question is do I removed the valve cover completely to change them?
Also can a rocker arm be taken off for inspection with the head still on or does it have to be removed also?
Im also going to check and see how tight these nuts are after a while.

I`ll see if I can get to them tommorow nd thanks for your advice.Im going to inspect the threads and the tips of the rocker arms for wear.
Didnt have enough time today I was busy working on my main transportation vehicle.I replaced both upper control arms,ball joints.

Back