Problems starting

smoskal

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am having problems starting my bike. It has been having problems for awhile but would at least start with the kick start. This isn't even working any more!

I have charged the battery and can empty the battery in one session. I have a neighbor who loaned me a charger that can also be used for jump starting. I have tried with that for as long as I could stand there and hold the button in. It would almost turn over, but would not.

I have checked the plugs and they look fine. I have cleaned out the carbs and fuel line.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stephen

Don't crank the e-start for more than a few seconds at a time, or you'll burn it out. The three things you need to check for are cylinder compression, spark, and fuel/air. (1) Compression should be at least 140 PSI on both cylinders. (2) If you don't have a spark tester, pull the plugs one at a time and hold them against the cylinder head with the spark wire connected; have someone kick it over while you watch for sparks (make sure the plug threads are in contact with the block, or you could wreck the ignition system). (3) After you check those, pull the carbs out and spray starting fluid into each cylinder; it should fire up when you use the kick start.

If compression is low, you need to tear down the top end and check the valves and piston rings. If spark is weak, replace the plugs and wires, and then recheck. If they don't help the spark, you are probably looking at new coils (or condensers/points for the old systems). If the starter fluid gets the engine to fire, the carbs need a good service.

Using the car charger with the jump start feature probably burned up your battery. Never charge the battery with a charger with more than 1.5 amps.
Leo

Don't crank the e-start for more than a few seconds at a time, or you'll burn it out. The three things you need to check for are cylinder compression, spark, and fuel/air. (1) Compression should be at least 140 PSI on both cylinders. (2) If you don't have a spark tester, pull the plugs one at a time and hold them against the cylinder head with the spark wire connected; have someone kick it over while you watch for sparks (make sure the plug threads are in contact with the block, or you could wreck the ignition system). (3) After you check those, pull the carbs out and spray starting fluid into each cylinder; it should fire up when you use the kick start.

If compression is low, you need to tear down the top end and check the valves and piston rings. If spark is weak, replace the plugs and wires, and then recheck. If they don't help the spark, you are probably looking at new coils (or condensers/points for the old systems). If the starter fluid gets the engine to fire, the carbs need a good service.

Back to the basics, don't just crank it over endlessly expecting something to happen. A 79? Did you get boots replaced then? and that chain JUMPING OFF THE SPROCKET?!?!? How did that turn out, just curious.
I am able to kickstart usually on first try sometimes 2. Only time I found effective to repeatedly kick a couple dozen times was when plugs got fouled from fuel. You likely have other problems.
Also when did it last run, what was done if anything before it didn't run and was it getting harder to start gradually each time until not at all?
Your problem could be a plethora of umpteen things, you need to know the basics that Pseudo helped you with and go from there - or back to here after that :)

I am having problems starting my bike. It has been having problems for awhile but would at least start with the kick start. This isn't even working any more!

I have charged the battery and can empty the battery in one session. I have a neighbor who loaned me a charger that can also be used for jump starting. I have tried with that for as long as I could stand there and hold the button in. It would almost turn over, but would not.

I have checked the plugs and they look fine. I have cleaned out the carbs and fuel line.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Stephen

I just had that problem with my 1980. Dealt with it for a year on and off. Check the connector for the start/kill switch in the headlight bucket. One of the red-white wires (if 79 is same) goes from there back to the ignitor and the solenoid. Otherwise check the pickup coil and ignition coils. Instructions are in the manuals found on here on the forum. If not I can look at mine and get back with you. Good luck, have a great day!

Take the air filters off and spray starting fluid in there while cranking- does it fire? If so, your carbs still aren't clean.

....and yes, I know you said you cleaned them. That's what I said...5 times. I was right the last time.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I have been busy and finally had time to attack the little problems. It turned out to be a "comedy of errors" as one might say.

1) I forgot to tighten the boots on the right side after cleaning the carbs
2) battery way too low to get enough to kick start

I can get it started with some effort. Still won't start right away with the electrical starter, but when started it runs great. I'll have to keep trying to fine tune.

226Dark--the new boots are great and the chain works great. Thanks for asking.

Back