Project Youth Research

Andy241

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
i'm Andy, 20 and from Germany.
Since i'm 18, i drive Supersports, first one was an R6, than 1 year later i changed to an R1, and since Feb i have an R6 again, my favoured bike, i think!
20120704154148.jpg

In September i bought a 79' XS 400 2A2 for about 500 bucks, to turn it into a cafe racer! My good friend David bought a CB 400, and thats why i called that thread "Project Youth Research". Thats our garage (XS, CB, R6 and CBR600RR):
20121105_144816qmqie.jpg

I read a lot about cafe racer Build offs, and found finaly spincycleindustries, with that Beauty:
78xs400.jpg

So i started stripping my "ugly duckling"
Before:
img0006ybi.jpg

after:
20121105162753.jpg

ok, basic is there, so go on with the small things, and i cleaned and sprayed the second pair of wheels:
20121116_1731297tz5q.jpg

and my tank (racing green metallic), with that sweet yamaha logo i got from dotheton:
tank15xuua.jpg

and on the bike:
zurzeitfab6q.jpg

I also sprayed the Lamp mask in the same color!

After that i was waiting for my parts, so i polished everything what falls in my hands, forks, Lamp, Sito exhaust and a lot of little things!
forklzxx8.jpg

My only problem is the tail, coz in Germany it isnt allowed to cut something from the frame, so im thinking about using a Tail like that:
SB-MG.jpg

Today i go to a shop, what has already cutted a frame of an XS, perhaps i have luck and he can do that legal!

So i post updates as soon as i can

Greets Andy

Great start, its looking good.
Welcome to forum, Theres a lot of fellas on here that can help you out with sort of thing if you cant find the answers to the questions for in another thread.

no, im 20, got my first bike with 18

and i only own the half of that 4 bikes, but im working on it xD

my boss has 9 old school bikes in his underground garage, whats only built under his house, that his bikes are in a warm place during the winter! Thats my inspiring example!

Greets Andy

I have got six in my basement now.:doh:

Attachments

• DSC01765.jpg
    DSC01765.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC01766.jpg
    DSC01766.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 390
willkommen Andy from Germany

have you also seen xs400.net? that is a German site and they may help with your modifications and TUV.

willkommen Andy from Germany

have you also seen xs400.net? that is a German site and they may help with your modifications and TUV.

Oh for sure.

So i got some news!
Yesterday i built all the parts, which i ordered on the bike -> Looks awsome!

20130107_1415535ppn7.jpg

But i dont like the rear section, so i gave my friend that seat and decided to cut the frame and weld a U-Turn- Piece on it! Or let it weld, by a shop in Nuernberg, because here in Germany we have that TÜV, what checks every 2 year all vehicles!

Today i gonna try to make a box under the seat, where all electrical parts come in.
And finish polishing that forks, that i can finish the front section!

so im happy with it ;)

Hey guys,
went on with that Project!
Thats how my Beauty looks right now:

blubblubkorlp.jpg

Only a few more things, and shortening the tail and its finished :)

Oh, its only the front fender what lays on the backwheel! Got 2 of it!
i try to fix it on the shortened Frame and two holders 2 inches above the swing arm mount!

Hey guys, i went on with my project!
I cleaned the Carbs, thats how it looked like at my dining room (my girl killed me after that)
20130220_193947wijj0.jpg

Now i have some problems with the rear master cylinder, so im thinking about chaning it with a Master Cylinder from my R6!
Today i gonna install the carbs and try to fire it up, so i can post a Vid.
thats how my friends CB400 sounds like (sorry 4 the low quality) :thumbsup:

Greats Andy

I have the exact same plastic mats (the ones with the circles)

nice bong in the background btw..

Good luck on the build! thanks for the pics, enjoyin it

@ Lucky Eight: That rear shocks are from Koni, my Dad gave me! I think they are original for a SR500, but they fit, and are legal for the XS here in Germany.

@willem: Thanks! The plastic mats bought me girlfriend. Ikea i think ^^

I have still some Problems with the engine, so i dont wanna work on other things, so long the motor isnt running, like it should!

Today i gonna check the ignition with a strobo lamp an swaping the Main jets couse of the open air filters! I think 140 could work.

I also orderd some 2007' Yamaha R6 Footrests. I dont find any Cafe Racer pegs, which i like, and are legal in Germany, so i try to weld them on the passenger holding.
There was somewhere a thread about something like that, but i cant find it anymore!

So wish my luck ;)

Btw, thats how she run yesterday:

Greets Andy

Hey Guys,
pumpin up my Thread!
Nearly got it

5wk39.jpg

Only the rear break, speedo holder, and a few little things are left.
Done my first ride yesterday, had a lot of fun :)

So i post pics the next days ;)

Back