Proper jetting

xArmstrongx

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

My name is Nate and I recently bought a 1981 xs 400 and I'm having some trouble getting the jetting right.

It has Uni Pod filters and straight pipes. It's been running pretty poorly as of late and after researching the topic for awhile I decided it was time to try and fix the problem.. I recently cleaned the carbs and upped the main jet to a 145 and the pilot jet to a 45 (BS30/96 type). If i'm correct that should be one size up on both the main and pilot from stock. I also moved the air screw out to 3.5 turns, then to 4. I don't have a synch tool so I just adjusted the butterflies until they were really close. I've heard of making your own home made sych tool, if anyone has some info how to do this that'd be greatly appreciated. hmm Travis *cough *cough... haha It idles at about 1200 like the manual says.

Needless to say the bike is running like ass lol At about quarter throttle it gargles and cuts out pretty bad. From about half to full is better, but you can't crack it wide open or else it'll start cutting out all the way until the top. It sometimes pops on deacceleration. I cleaned the plugs and put them back in, hoping I'd be able to read them and figure out if I'm too lean or rich. If I'm sitting on the bike, the plug out of the left cylinder is mostly tan in the middle and black around the edge. Which I figured isn't too bad, cause tan is what you want. The right plug however is pitch black. It's not a wet black though (oil), which is good. How could that be if both carbs are jetted and adjusted the same exact way? Maybe the left cylinder isn't firing as well as teh right? Also, sometimes when i come to a stop and let the bike idle it'll die. It fires back up, but obviously it shouldn't be doing that.

The intake manifolds do have some cracks in them, but I don't think they go all the way through.

Also, where I ride at is about 574 feet in elevation.

Any advice, pointers, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and RIDE ON!

Welcome to the site!

The sync tool is super easy to make. About 12 feet of 3/16" I.D. clear hose, a yard stick or something long and flat, some tape or zip ties, and a little bit of transmission fluid are all you need.

I'm not a jetting expert, but try going back to the stock pilot jets. Turn the air screws to about 1.5 turns out and sync the carbs then see what the plugs look like.

Also make damn sure those cracks in the carb holders are just superficial. Spray some carb cleaner on them when the bike is running and see if the engine revs up.

Rule of thumb is one size up in jets for each change. Ex: up one size for open pipes and another size up for freer flowing air filters. That has always gotten me fairly close in jetting, and then it's time to fine tune. Your plugs will tell you the story with your jetting...You can also use two identical drill bits to do a bench sync with the carbs, although the sync "tool" Travis told you about really do work well and they are cheap too...

Hey Travis,

How do you use the tool to check if the carbs are synched?

I just got back from a ride and I could hardly keep the thing running at stoplights...scary stuff....

I hope it's just the jetting and not timing or overheating.....

Why is one spark plug so much darker than the other? They're gapped about the same (couldn't find my gapper)...

anyone know the stock jetting?

I look at the tech article "Carb Adjustment" and it said the main is a 142.5 and 42.5 pilot.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks

Back