Pumping oil---help

Lew11

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I brought back to life a 1978 XS400. For the first 30 miles I had no problems. Now it is pumping oil out of the engine breathing tube. (It is not connected to the carbs.)
Can anyone help with suggestions? Thanks, Lew

sounds like your rings have gone causing too much pressure in the crank case.

unless you overfilled the engine with oil as that's the only way out.

Check your oil level with the bike on the center stand on level ground.

Yup- first check- oil level....you did drain all the oil and refill with the proper amount before starting it, didn't you?

[edit]

...and does the oil smell of gas?

Last edited:
Yup- first check- oil level....you did drain all the oil and refill with the proper amount before starting it, didn't you?

[edit]

...and does the oil smell of gas?
I checked the oil. Not too much. Compression is good and it does not smoke. Thus I must believe that the rings and valves are good. I do not smell gas in the oil. I am baffled!

Have you had the oil filter out? Maybe plugged or the wrong filter in there.

you def have crank pressure in there, and it can only come from those areas.

too much oil, oil/gas or blow-by caused by rings

Is it really possible to have a clogged oil filter cause crankcase back pressure?? Thanks, Lew

I checked the oil. Not too much. Compression is good and it does not smoke. Thus I must believe that the rings and valves are good. I do not smell gas in the oil. I am baffled!

Just trying to check all the possibilities. How did you check the oil? Was it on the center stand or side stand?

Just trying to check all the possibilities. How did you check the oil? Was it on the center stand or side stand?
Yes. I did check the oil on the center stand and level. It had pumped so much oil out that it barely hit the bottom of the stick. What puzzles me is that I drove it for over 30 miles before it started pumping oil???

put more oil in and open a valve cap. feel if there is pressure coming out of there when the engine is running.

thinking leaking valve and the pressure is going down the valve chain tunnel

Back