Question about servicing forks

hashtag_g

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I noticed that the forks on my 81 xs400 were sagging and not rebounding to a consistent height when compressed so I disassembled them and drained the oil with the help of this youtube tutorial (very detailed).

If I replace the fork seals and change the fork oil will this solve the problem? Everything else looks to be in okay shape. Are their signs of wear that aren't obvious I should look for?

Thanks for your help, I can post pictures in a few hours when I get home if anyone is curious.

Probably not unfortunately. The forks on these bikes aren't the greatest. If you do a bit of searching, you'll see a lot of complaints about them. My forks have a whopping 2000 miles on them and still experience the same problems you mentioned. That's why I made the switch to modern forks.

I have all the RS125 parts, just need to put them on.

I grabbed my parts from the UK. Very plentiful over there. Shipping wasn't as bad as you'd think.

My fork springs measured about 4mm short of spec so I bought Progressive Suspension replacements (11-1115) as recommended on other threads. Hopefully this will do the trick!

Does any one have any fluid level numbers for a 83 400 Maxim, in general fork
amount in cc,s ounces, or level...forks extended springs out? Thanks

Back