quick kickstart question

FUBAR

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
so got the engine rebuilt ect and it fired using the electric starter, so i left it alone an assumed it to be good

at the time i didnt have a kickstart pedal so couldnt use that to start but i just bought one and it appears it is not turning the motor over but it moves freely and easily downward by hand (no normal feeling of compression) the bike is on the table in neutral.

does it have to be in gear or somthing for the k-start to engage and turn it over?

if not i must have misssed somthing when putting the pieces back together

:agree:with Drewpy.when i put lower bars on my 79 it pulled on the cable and i couldn't kick it.try adjusting the cable:thumbsup:

Or check the adjustment of the clutch set screw located on the left side cover that the clutch cable goes into. It's behind the little black plastic plug. Mine was set too tight when I first got it and my kick wasn't working either. (Found that out after I bought the new clutch :doh: )

the clutch cables not hooked up right now and the chain covers not on, it has somthin to do with the clutch?

i had the bike started with the starter motor so it must be correct

Sorry to semi hijack the thread but if my kickstart only engages with the clutch lever pulled and only has resistane (aka engagement) four about two to three inches of the kick does that mean I need to adjust my screw? If so anybody know which way?

Well, it's always good to have the clutch properly adjusted, so I'd check that first (at the sprocket cover first, then at the lever). It should only kick start with your hand off the clutch.

If your bikes like mine, to adjust the clutch you loosen the cable way up at the lever. Now down at the sidecover adjuster, Loosen the lock nut. Turn the adjuster ccw a few turns. Now slowly turn the adjuster cw. Carefully feeling for resistance. Spin it in and out a few times to get a feel for how the adjuster turns and when you feel anytension.
Once you first feel tension back the adjuster out 1/8 turn. Snug down the lock nut while holding the adjuster from turning.
Now up at the lever adjust for 1/8 to 1/4 inch free play.
Now your clutch is properly adjusted.
Your kick start should work.
Leo

Back