R1 Fork swap?

Hoffmannj

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Alright so I was wondering if anyone has performed this swap, what would it take to swap a 2000-2001 fork set into a 1980 xs400 triple tree, if anyone can help me, maybe even do a full swap for the r1 yoke and all, please help! Found R1 forks on CL for $80 so hoping that there is some way that it will work. If not I will find a way and post the how to :).

Note: I live in the US and the Aprilia rs 125 is not cheap and parts are damn near impossible to find so thank you for the thought and the suggestion but it does me no good, unless of course you have one that I may by for a reasonable price.

How you can swap R1 inverted forks into xs triple tree? I think it's impossible...maybe full swap. I have '99 R1 so I can do some measurements for you

If you could do that it would be greatly appreciated! I read on here that the 80 xs400 bearings are the same size as the 88 FZR400/650) is that true? The all balls website does not specify swaps for the XS400/maxim, the list does not generate any response for me anyway, maybe a user error, but if so then they do have the option for bearings for the XS (FZR400/650) to R1 front end swap, main thing I would need would be the length of the stem, and any potential spacers ETC. I greatly appreciate the assistance, stem length would be from the bottom of the top yoke, just the shaft itself.
I only specify because I read that someone measured from the top for the overall length, which wouldn't help for the swap but for general information maybe? Anywho, the stem to the threads would be beneficial, thank you!

If it's anything like the Gsxr USD fork I used, the swap is pretty straight forward. A shim under the lower bearing, and a couple of new tapered bearings with gixxer (or in your case R1) ID's and XS OD's.
Once the thing is mounted, THAT is where the fun begins:D You then have sooooo many options on how to finish it off:D

Another way to look at this is what steering stem bearings are the same. The replacement sites (Pro-flow, All balls, etc) show that the YX600 Radian shares the same bearings. It is the largest Yamaha that uses this bearing set. That said, I'd suggest going at it that way. The Radian had fairly good suspension for a price point bike, and parts are readily available. Should be a substantial upgrade from what you have.

Whatever fork you use probably should come off of a similar weight bike. Otherwise, you end up having to find suitable springs/damping/etc.

The reason I say this is there is little need for the braking power of an R1 on the XS. You could fit just one disc and still have too much.

One of the considerations here is to not bore out the stock steering triple clamps for larger diameter forks. There's a safety factor involved: it could get thin enough to fail catastrophically.

There is no way you'd be able to fit R1 fork tubes into an XS400 triple tree. So you're going to have to get an R1 triple tree (or another brand triple tree that will accept the OD diameter size of your R1 fork tubes), then determine the ID of the R1 neck bearings, then the OD of the XS400 neck tube (can't recall what that is now). Call up AllBalls and ask them what they have to meet those specs. I'm sure they have something to fit. Then you have to handle the stem length. Will you need to cut it down and rethread it to fit in the XS400 neck tube?? If it's not that far off, you might be able to shim it, as was mentioned above. What front wheel will you use? What discs? Will you need to space the discs and shim the caliper to fit? The best route would be to talk to someone who's successfully installed one, then buy exactly what they bought and follow their lead. Piecing it together on your own can lead to lots of wasted money, wasted time and headaches.

Back