RD XS wheel compatibility

ksqrly

XS400 Aficionado
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the RD250/350 wheels are interchangeable with the early XS models?

I want to get a front drum brake wheel and I have found a few for the xs 400 but cant seem to find any that are specifically for the RD. Can anyone shed some light on this one?:thumbsup:

So what exactly are you asking
A you are looking for a RD wheel rear or front?
B you want to know if the Rd wheel has a rear drum brake thats compatible with an XS
C I have 2 sources for about any RD model wheel and if your nice I can hook ya up?:):D

I stated in my previous post I am looking for a front drum wheel. (please read)

Thanks for the offer but I got my answer. The RD250/350 and XS400 have the same fork spacing and axle size, so they are 100% interchangeable.

-Does anyone want to trade a spoked discer for a spoked hub?

I stated in my previous post I am looking for a front drum wheel. (please read)

Thanks for the offer but I got my answer. The RD250/350 and XS400 have the same fork spacing and axle size, so they are 100% interchangeable.

-Does anyone want to trade a spoked discer for a spoked hub?

drum I meant not hub:doh:

I'd love to get my hands on a n 18" mag rear w/drum. Did they make an RD with that rim?

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread. Are XS400 drum brake front hubs + brake plates the same as early RD drum brake front hubs + brake plates?

Resurrecting this thread. Are XS400 drum brake front hubs + brake plates the same as early RD drum brake front hubs + brake plates?

I cross referenced part numbers and it appears the XS400 drum is the same part number as the RD drum. The brake plates look substantially similar in photos, but the part numbers are different.

Any insights?

What RD front brake plate part number do you have? When I check it, the XS brake plates cross over to RD250 plates as matching parts.

What RD front brake plate part number do you have? When I check it, the XS brake plates cross over to RD250 plates as matching parts.

Double checking, it looks like the RD200 brake plate is unique, but to your point the RD250 brake plate is the same as the XS400.

1974 RD200:
  • hub: 246251110038 (compatible with lots of models including XS400)
  • brake plate: 3972512010
1973 RD250:
  • hub: 246251110038 (compatible with lots of models (including XS400)
  • brake plate: 3612512010 (compatible with lots of models including XS400)

These threads indicate XS400 and XT500 front wheels are relatively easy to interchange
It is worth getting the question out there, but those two links are probably the best info you are going to get. Yamaha did "parts bin" a lot of stuff, using engineering, dimensions and parts over and over, so I wouldn't be surprised that the swap works.

Yeah, to know for sure, I'll have to test fit a hub and brake plate.

Looping back on this. I bought an XS400 wheel and test fitted it to my 1976 XT500. It mostly fits. I will need to trim a few millimeters off the bottom of the brake-plate-stop on the left fork slider so the brake rod has clearance. The wheel dish is a little off, but I'm planning to build a new wheel with an alloy rim and that can be built such that the rim is centered.

Back