RD400 tank on an XS400

it is not, its triple, so you may be in luck;)

BriansRD400FinisheFrame01.JPG

DAMN!!! that is a wicked mean bike. i say go for it. and copy the hell outta that thing lol, that bike is so sick. i cant wait to see the finished product

for what its worth, although an easy work-around depending on how you look at it, is the xs had a single rear bolt that is at about 45degrees, where the rd has 2 bolts that are flat.

I have an RD tank at home, when I get back from work I can post up some photo's if you want....

I don´t think thats a RD. At least the engine looks like a DT. Greets from Munich Hannes

Last edited:
Check out Icon's blog the answer is there.

XS400 front end, RD400 tank, IT400 frame and engine and a YZ400 swingarm.

The Snakecharmer...

Pics would be sweet and checking to see if it fits a xs would be sweet too, thanks CADxs

Are you sure that's an RD frame? The swingarm isn't the same as the bike that Sharps mentioned...

that's because the bike he mentioned doesnt have an RD frame. we were merely discussing if the RD tank (pictured) would fit an XS. i did not know if the RD was triple backboned or not, researched it, posted a pic of an RD frame to confirm that yes, an RD frame is a triple, so its possible the RD tank may fit an XS with some attachment work.

Pics would be sweet and checking to see if it fits a xs would be sweet too, thanks CADxs

Here you go mate :thumbsup:

Compared against my tank...

RD400%20Tank%20001.JPG

Rear, front and tunnel...

RD400%20Tank%20002.JPG

RD400%20Tank%20003.JPG

RD400%20Tank%20004.JPG

Close up of mounting points, don't have the rubbers, sorry...

RD400%20Tank%20005.JPG

RD400%20Tank%20006.JPG

Comparing width...

RD400%20Tank%20007.JPG

In position...

RD400%20Tank%20008.JPG

RD400%20Tank%20009.JPG

Doesn't fit great to be honest, sits on top of the coil brackets so it sits high up and the outlets for the pipe connecting the two sides of the tank hit the backbone/s.

Try and find one of the original square XS400 tanks, narrower and fits better, just my 2 cents :bike:

ps. Sorry for the dark pictures, my bedroom doesn't have industrial style lighting (though it does smell of kebabs tonight...that's good I think....)

Hey CadXS, pretty sure you have an RD350 tank there bud. The 400 tank is square-ish and possibly wider with different rear mounting points. The tank on the snake charmer is I believe an RD400 tank.

And Sharps, I think you should keep your "patina'd" xs400 standard tank. The RD400 tanks usually fetch a pretty penny unless you score a sweet deal, but they do look killer so I can't really fault you for wanting to do it!

You could be right mate. I bought it off a guy at an autojumble to cut up to make a cafe style seat and never got around to it. He said it was from an RD400 but I wouldn't know any different to be honest :) Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the pics, crush is right, the RD400 comes with factory knee dents and a different mounting setup. But thanks again.

that's because the bike he mentioned doesnt have an RD frame. we were merely discussing if the RD tank (pictured) would fit an XS. i did not know if the RD was triple backboned or not, researched it, posted a pic of an RD frame to confirm that yes, an RD frame is a triple, so its possible the RD tank may fit an XS with some attachment work.
I'm sorry for posting then. I knew what was being discussed, I just wanted to point out that the two were different. Again, I apologize.

Back