Re-Soldered brass carb float

BBS360

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Finally opened up the float bowls and found one float had broken off!

After some failed attempts to source one locally, and one cancelled order online, I bit the bullet and tried soldering it.
IMG_0629b.jpg

Definitely not as nice as the factory job. A bit of dremel work cleaned it up. Seems secure enough.

A coworked advised against attempting the repair, saying the weight of the float could be thrown off by the solder.
Hoping to prove him wrong.

as long as you set your float height correctly after you stick it in again, it doesn't matter what the weight is. If it's very unbalanced (left much heavier than right or vice versa) it may not move as freely, that's all you need to worry about

diddo. sp? also long as it is stuck back inplace than it should work. if you notice a lean or rich condition try to adjust the center tab on the float that rides on the fuel needle.

Ive tried soldering a lot of different types of metal but never brass,glad it worked.If theres a balnce issue counter balance with little solder on the other side.I don't think it will be problem though.

a balance issue is not going to matter it has one pivot point. if there where to than it would matter.

I actually soldered around the entire float to cover some pin holes a couple weeks ago. Worked out great. The only problem I had was that when I got to the area around where the float connects to the holder, the existing soldered connection melted and my float completely fell off:yikes:. I was able to work through the anxiety and get it soldered back on correctly.

Back