Re-wiring stator on an 81 xs400

Did you download the wire diagram? I would consider looking into the headlight bucket, and ensure the connections don't look toast, or cross connected. Verify all the grounds are fine. and continue following the wire diagram. wire diagram should be on the stickys on top of the page, on about the 4 page. (if I remember right)

http://www.xs400.com/threads/chargi...tor-or-dead-charging-system.7567/#post-155915

So what would you think is causing the headlight to come on? Right now I have the white wire unplugged and the headlight still comes on.
sounds like its bypassed then. 1 year old batteries, unless trickle charged, don't last unfortunatley.

The .7 reduction should only affect the coil of the relay, but if the wiring has been bypassed somehow, possibly incorrectly, there's no way to know what's going on without figuring out how it's been rewired.

Hypothetically, if the diodes were installed incorrectly it would be possible to backfeed a negative voltage into the positive electrical system. It'd drag the whole system voltage down.
So far though I do not think that's what's happening here.

sounds like its bypassed then. 1 year old batteries, unless trickle charged, don't last unfortunatley.

The first thing I did when I got the bike was install a trickle charger and it was storage/winterized with the trickle charger on all winter.

When I got the bike. The PO had primitively installed in-line fuzes. I installed an actual fuze box. I'm starting to wonder if I have a wires backwards somewhere

The .7 reduction should only affect the coil of the relay, but if the wiring has been bypassed somehow, possibly incorrectly, there's no way to know what's going on without figuring out how it's been rewired.

Hypothetically, if the diodes were installed incorrectly it would be possible to backfeed a negative voltage into the positive electrical system. It'd drag the whole system voltage down.
So far though I do not think that's what's happening here.

I'm not at all familiar with the wiring going on in these bikes so I'll assume you've got the right idea! It does sound to be more of a wiring issue though. The AC from the alternator gets dealt with right away before reaching anything else on the bike so I'd think reg/rec, wiring harness issue, or as OP says could be something got crossed when he installed the fuse box. Either way I'll be watching cuz electronics stuff is always very interesting

Dontcha just HATE electrical gremlins?? Never was good at tracking wiring issues but with a good VOM and a pair of cheater glasses so these old eyes can see the wire colors & traces I should be able to totally toast the thing. My parts bike was haphazardly repaired in the fuse area. ! thing to think about is if there's a wiring harness available. Someone with a nos harness or possibly a good used harness from a customized bike. The trouble I found with my bikes is that the wire's had also deteriorated where the insulation has gotten brittle. I do think you're in the right area with your search.

Back