Ready to throw XS in the lake Pt. 2

brockd

XS400 Newbie
Reaction score
In keeping with Faniman62's theme - I'm now about to throw my XS in the lake.

Knew I had a bad petcock
ordered kit, waited for shipping (delivery was a nightmare), and repaired it

Carbs sounded out of whack
took them apart, cleaned, set to factory spec

had gas in the oil
ordered new oil filters, same shipping debacle, changed oil and filter

Spark plugs were fouled
bought new plugs, set gaps, and plugged em in

After all this - she fired up beautifully on Sunday. Rode it around the block, the neighborhood, the city, then blasted down the highway for a bit to get things loosened up. Dropped her off at the shop for the final safety check. They get it started and issue the certificate - no problem. Go to pick up the bike - WON'T START :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Charge battery overnight and hope it might've been the electric starter - nothing. Tried the kick - nothing. Head hung low, proceed to the commuter train in dirty jeans and a t-shirt to schlep downtown to get to the job....

After trying the starter too much, killed the battery again. It sounds like it's loose or something and after some starts sounds like it's spinning/rattling on.

I'm really at the end of my rope with this machine and would happily trade it to someone with a penchant for stock late-70's japanese machines in exchange for anything that is remotely reliable :D

Rant done.

Alright - now that's out... has anyone had similar issues or have any diagnostic light they can shed on the situation? It just doesn't seem conceivable that everything worked fine for a whole day and then would just seize up. I know the fuel lines are working and the petcock isn't bleeding out anymore.

I'm about one step away from taking the entire engine apart myself.

Lesson learned - don't buy something with this much 'personality' as a first ride.

SpecialK - I haven't personally. I would assume that the guy I left it with over the winter would have checked and adjusted them - but we all know what they say about assuming...

I hear you, I assumed the same thing when I purchased my bike from a knowledgeable owner but sure enough after cleaning the carbs numerous times and fixing every other possible source of problem it turned out that m my valves were way to tight. What would happen is my bike would start fairly effortlessly when cold, but if I tried to start it when it was warm it wouldn't and I'd be left stranded. As the engine warned up the metal expands and the valves would stay open causing a loss of compression. The bike has never ran so well since.

Well I suppose I'll have to give that a thorough look.
I wasn't having any trouble starting from cold on Sunday though, nor was I having any issues from warm - even after a good 25min ride. I suspect my pilot jets are gummed up as my idle was a bit jumpy - which I'll get to when I check the valves.

The bugger is that I have to get a trailer to haul the damn thing from the shoppe now...

After trying the starter too much, killed the battery again.
When working on your xs I suggest only using the kick starter, as you've learned the starter draws a lot of power. Each time you do it will make it even more unlikely to start next time, due to less powerful spark. My bike has charging issues and i find that unplugging all the lights helps to get her started!
Good luck, i daily mine and am constantly working on her after work, just to make sure i make it there the next day haha.

After trying the starter too much, killed the battery again.
When working on your xs I suggest only using the kick starter, as you've learned the starter draws a lot of power. Each time you do it will make it even more unlikely to start next time, due to less powerful spark. My bike has charging issues and i find that unplugging all the lights helps to get her started!
Good luck, i daily mine and am constantly working on her after work, just to make sure i make it there the next day haha.

had gas in the oil

last time I had that symptom, it was a holy float. one of the floats had developed a pin hole, and it would flood over night. I would clean the carb, it would run that night, then the next day, fuel in the oil and even flooded air box. if that is your case, you could seal it with some solder, I tried, it didn't work well enough for me. I was able to go to the local bike bone yard, and picked up a pair of them.
Tobie

Arfstrom - I hadn't thought of checking the floats. They're the old brass type and may well be holey. I guess it'll be a valve and float check when I get around to it.

Back