rear brake pad fell off...

Jso123

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I had to get a valve stem replaced on my rear wheel so I took the wheel to a local gas station. Got that fixed, but noticed one of the brake pads fell off during reassembly. Do I just buy special brake glue to reattach it? Also, do I really need a torque wrench to put the wheel back on? Haven't been to harbor freight for at least a week....

No, you throw the old brake shoes in the trash and buy new ones. If a shoe delaminates while you are moving it will lock the rear wheel and you will probably crash. Don't screw around with brakes, your life depends on them.

You don't need a torque wrench. Just use the factory tools to tighten the nut without over-exerting yourself. Keep in mind that the engineers at Yamaha expected a typical Japanese male to be able to do this at the side of the road. If you or the parts grunt while tightening, you have over done it!

This exact thing happened to me getting off the interstate, luckily I was going like 10mph but the shoe material came off and lodged in the drum causing the back wheel to instantly lock up, you can get brake shoes for like 25 bucks! Plus I fell over wrecking my turn signals as I am not an experienced rider, if that happened at speed I would most certainly have been killed, funny thing the pads still looked great just old as shit.

Back