Rear shock material?

Jon

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi gang,

Rear shock on an 1982 SJ - see picture below (not mine, but you get the idea)

Would anyone know what metals the rear shock is comprised of?
I know the spring itself is chromed and mine is in great shape. However, the top piece and the bottom pieces are quite worn. The top piece and the preload adjuster piece for example are very light and almost feel like they could be aluminum. Before I start sanding the material to try and shine it, I kind of want to be sure so I don't ruin them.

s-l300.jpg

if its ferrous material like steel. Polishing it will only make it rust faster. Youll never be able to keep it polished unless you put a clear coat on it. Even then, the clear coat will chip off and itll become spotted. Its best to have it powder coated/painted. Most of us just leave it alone or get better aftermarket shocks.

if its ferrous material like steel. Polishing it will only make it rust faster. Youll never be able to keep it polished unless you put a clear coat on it. Even then, the clear coat will chip off and itll become spotted. Its best to have it powder coated/painted. Most of us just leave it alone or get better aftermarket shocks.
I dunno, I have seen what XSchris does with is stuff, his shocks are beautiful!

Aluminum will hold a chrome like polish if it is stored and kept well. If you drive or leave it in the rain or store the bike in a cold damp place it will oxidize. Chrome steel also. My bikes are stored in a warm dry place all year long and never see water even for cleaning the bikes.

Thanks for confirming xschris.
(should of thought of the magnet idea)

And yes, aluminum should polish up real nice and keep its shine if the bike is well stored.
Mine will be also stored dry, and I plan on avoiding the rain whenever I can.

Dry and warm is the key. If the bike is allowed to get cold like below freezing or more for a period of time then warm up to say 70 it will produce condensation making it wet. This will cause rust or oxidation.

Back