Rear wheel alignment/ bent swing arm?

brownv1

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the thread and new to biking, well in a since. I bike a lot but mountain bike. I'm also not new to motors worked on all kinds of different small engines. I just bought an 81 xs400 not sure past that as all the decals and identifiers have been removed and painted over. Maybe someone knows how to tell from the vin. Bike seems to be all there and all original(will be selling many parts as I'm going cafe style...stay tuned). Cleaned up the engine carbs and tranny started second kid yay. Rode it around the property and noticed the rear wheel wasn't tracking right(not sure of terminology was leaning to the left). I know I should have taken pics for you guys but didn't sorry. Never had a problem with the bicycles aligning but could seem to get everything right. When the wheel was straight the sprocket was binding with the chain. Got the wheel off and right side of swing arm seems to be about a 1/4" higher than the left. I know with bicycles they do this for strength but not sure why it would be done here. If this is normal let me know and if so can anyone point me to a good how too on rear wheel alignment?

Thanks

does sound bent, they should be level.

welcome to the forum, and you ain't got a bike till we see the pictures :bike:

Not sure without reading through this thread but i think it may have what you are looking for as far as identifying the bike by vin.

Oh ya and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Back