Rear wheel spacer

Jramos

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

Currently in doing a xs500 project but im using a 1977 xs400 mag rear wheel disk brake, today i was removing the bearings and upon doing it i realized that the inside bushing that goes between the bearings has a flange, is rhis flange pressed in there? , my guess is that i was to cover the open side of the bearings, but the new bearings are sealed so i see no use for it, does it affect something to remove it and just use the spacer bushing between the bearings? Because the flange is heavily corroded, so is the bushing but its usable, Also it has a 38 or 39 rear sprocket that i wont be using if anybody is interested, ill try to post some pics tommorrow of the bushings and flange so you guys can see what im trying to explain,

Thanks!

My spacer tube thing looks exactly like the one in this photo, is the tube with the flange that has the lip outwards

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 117
if its just the steel "washer" that is a press fit on the spacer, I have run with out them as you say, its to stop grease being flung from the old style bearings and must new ones are shielded so there's no need for them

I think that "flange" is to help hold the spacer centered in the hub when you install the axle.
Leo

Back