Rear Wheel Studs/Sprocket problem. Need some advice!

cthor

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
These wheels are giving me the hardest times.:banghead: Only hang up in the build right now. Good thing its winter here in MN and cant ride for a while. I had my wheels blasted and powdercoated. I told the powdercoater to remove the rear wheel studs because they had rubber fillings. He said he did but I think he did not. While installing my sprocket, it almost seems like he baked the wheels with the studs in and the rubber expanded. I can get the sprocket on just fine but the c-clip and big washer is not going in. It seems like the studs are up higher than normal. I am hoping that I am just doing something wrong and you guys can correct me but I'm jumping to conclusions. Here are some pictures for better illustration.

70A082FA-F1A2-46C8-B7C4-ABF7E665DCF1-9892-000003FF07F3F0BA.jpg

with the plastic washers.

1820E9F2-CC9E-4459-85C3-D74B24F53D86-9892-000003FF0E205CFA.jpg

And the sprocket installed. The plastic washer being able to move does not seem right.
A00F8DBF-814D-4D85-AEAA-F43DE620010A-9892-000003FF16692A2E.jpg

This is just the washer and it wont even go into the groove. I cant even fit just the c-clip in there bit itself.
D800A64B-46BE-4C74-A714-FC1EA86FE3F2-9892-000003FFAB3C36B4.jpg

The grooves on the bottom side of the sprocket are aligned with the studs and everything. The only thing I can think of is the rubber bulging and causing the studs to rise higher than they originally are. I cannot get the c-clip and washer on in the middle of the sprockets at all. From my memory, it goes sprocket, washer, then c-clip. I really hope I'm just doing something wrong here. How would you remove those studs anyways? Thanks for all the help so far. Great community here.

All I can tell you is that on mine the sprocket is sitting right up against the wheel; there doesn't appear to be any gap behind it. Also, there are about 2 threads exposed on the studs when everything is tightened down just like the photo with your sprocket installed.

Last edited:
That picture almost makes mine look normal. I guess its normal to have a little bit of play with the plastic spacers. Do you guys have any tips on getting that washer and c-clip in? Almost seems like everything would work without that washer and c-clip.

Last edited:
bcware, can you post up that picture again? Thanks for the help so far..

Both of my bikes have a little play in the plastic spacers but not as much as you have. I would say that the baking made them heave.:(

They almost seem normal. Gonna try some clamping down and then consider replacement. Seems like in half a cm too high, if anything. Anyone know how to get them off?

Last edited:
mine also had like a steel washer but with an extra bit to lock onto the wheel. It was about 1mm thick and was yellow passivated in colour.

never seem them on my parts manual, but fitted them anyway

Did you guys have any issues with installing the c-clip and washer after the sprocket was installed?

No it should just slide right in, even a little play between the washer.

It might be time to start looking for replacements. Or a new sprocket. You guys have any idea on how to take them off or if there is a sprocket out there that'll work?

Can you get a photo of the reverse side of the wheel? From looking at it in photos it appears that the stud sits in rubber surrounded by a metal ring. I think it is pressed in the wheel. I do not see separate parts listed in the diagrams, so it may not be serviceable.

I just got confirmation that they are indeed pressed in the wheel. I'm gonna use some of my engineering skills and try to modify the sprocket so that it will seat farther down. Gonna try to grind the grooves in the back of the sprocket to make them deeper so they'll seat on the studs better. I'm worried this will take away alot of the structural integrity of the sprocket but we will see. Or maybe ill just file the black part if the stud down a bit. Anyone oppose to this?

If it were me I would toss the wheel; if the rubber holding the studs in place is compromised your risk of failure has increased. If you intend to remove material from the sprocket you're introducing another possible failure point. If the chain/sprocket/wheel fails in any way while you're riding a few things can happen:

First, the parts could fall off harmlessly.

Second, the parts could come loose and penetrate the engine case or become jammed in the front sprocket; this will likely destroy the transmission or the engine.

Third, you could crash and be hurt or killed.

Consider your health and safety. I'd be pissed that the powder coater didn't remove the studs and lied about it. If he couldn't do it he should have turned down the job. He should know better.

Sounds like good advice guys. I'm looking at different options I have with the sprocket. If nothing comes up then a new wheel will have to be sourced out.

They are not too expensive; they can often be had on ebay for less than $100 shipped. You might be able to snag one on here for less in the classified section, but they seem to be in demand.

Just make sure it is the right diameter and has the correct brake setup.

Good news guys! I figured it out. bcware, I printed the picture that you provided out at work and took it home. Kept comparing the two and they seemed so similar. After pondering on what to do, I decided to fit it on without the studs in the holes. This was when it flashed to me that the powdercoating could have added a couple millimeters on eash side of the hub and maybe be the reason why it was so tough for the sprocket to get on. I sanded the paint off of the hub and with a little banging, WHALA! the sprocket went in fine! It was not an issue of the studs at all. Everything went on fine with the c-clip and washer slipping right on. The plastic washers are actually not free at all. So the project is good to go now. Many thank you's to you guys!

BTW, you guys know what these are and where they go? Its a bracket that goes somewhere but where?

2D66864A-176E-401A-89FC-D87ED7998792-9892-0000045C095E629C.jpg

That is good news.

Those brackets go on the passenger foot peg mounts. They are used to hold the OEM mufflers on.

Back