Rectafier shot

Inked400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So i am not charging and I have already replaced the stator assembly and i did the regulator swap last year everything was working fine. This year I have been dealing with nothing but problems with my bike and its getting old I am wasting my whole summer trying to figure it out and has come down to my rectafier. I have already tried the reg/rect combo and it just blew up smoked and was shot so i am not going that route again . Im tired of pissing money down the drain for nothing . My question is i have a box of rectifiers from other brand bikes i have a couple from a goldwing and some from some kzs. With those my question is i dont have anywhere to hookup the green and black wire running from the stator . Am i forced to run a stock oem one or is there a way i can wire the ones i have now to the bike and make it work

Is the issue the rectifier or regulator? You've mentioned both.

There are so many goldwing and kz models that it's impossible to say definitively. There need to be all the same wires on the replacements that the XS400 units have.
Looks like some goldwings have standalone rectifiers that'd work but some years appear to have combo units that would not work.
KZs are most likely a no-go.
You're not forced to go stock but your box doesn't sound like a great option.

That being said, if you're frying more than one unit the problem probably isn't the unit. They're not supposed to die. I'd figure out what's killing them before putting anything else in.
Is the wiring harness stock or has it been modified?

As for your question, the green wire goes to the voltage regulator. Depending on the year/regulator the black wire goes to ground or +12V.

Well when I bought the bike it was just a motor and no wiring harness. What happened so over winter somehow my rectafier ground came undone . I have tested my stator and regulator hell even bought brand new ones .

Back