rectifier/regulator help

I think like houghmade said, his came with one plug with 7 wires on it, stock has 2 plugs a 5 wire and a 3 wire, you have to join the earth wires from the stock plugs to match the single earth wire on the new plug. I wasnt 100 percent sure it would work thats why I got the one with 2 plugs from regulatorrectifier.com but it is significantly more expensive. Houghmade will have to let us know of his works out well with the bike running

I think like houghmade said, his came with one plug with 7 wires on it, stock has 2 plugs a 5 wire and a 3 wire, you have to join the earth wires from the stock plugs to match the single earth wire on the new plug. I wasnt 100 percent sure it would work thats why I got the one with 2 plugs from regulatorrectifier.com but it is significantly more expensive. Houghmade will have to let us know of his works out well with the bike running

That is indeed what I said. Unfortunately, I don't have the bike back together yet...nothing to do with the reg/rec, just life getting in the way.

I was looking at my pics, and finally took my bike out, and looked at what I did. I did make a ground strap from the back of the VR, and ran it to the empty ground on the VR plug. It was hard to tell on my pics in the album.

OK, back to this....2 years later. I started the bike after installing the reg/rec. Electrically, it seemed fine...for the few seconds it ran.

Unfortunately, there was a tick in the right cylinder that was not there before and the engine ran horribly. Long story short, I didn't have time to dig into it then...then I got involved in fixing up my house to sell, selling it, buying a much larger house on much more land (3,500 sq ft. on 2.5 acres)...and had way too much to do sprucing up my new house, leaving my old firm, starting with a new one, etc., etc.

Just last weekend, tore back into the bike. I discovered that a battery terminal bolt had gotten sucked into the right cylinder and wedged in the intake valve. The valve face and stem were bent. The top of the piston has a tiny scar- enough to show contact, not enough to hurt it. The cylinder walls are pristine. In the course of removing the valve, I broke the valve guide. Lucky for me I found a good, used, complete head for $25.00. Got it yesterday. I am cleaning the head and lapping the valves. Some day I'll rebuild the original head, but today is not that day. I am waiting on a couple of parts, but in a week or 2, I should have it together again and running. Then I can actually report back on the reg/rec. No hurry....after over 2 years of sitting still.

Good to see you back at it. Don't know if it was there before but there's a 1 star review of the unit on Amazon.
Curious to see how it goes as I've been looking into reg/rec options.

One different option might be to use a normally incompatible SH775 reg/rec to rectify and regulate the voltage output of the stator with an extra adjustable voltage regulator to control the field coil.
No simpler in terms of wiring but the SH775 would prevent overcharging of modern batteries.

In the course of removing the valve, I broke the valve guide. Lucky for me I found a good, used, complete head for $25.00. Got it yesterday. I am cleaning the head and lapping the valves.
The new head you bought came with the valve cover, right? Don't do what others have done before by trying to mismatch valve covers and heads.... It won't work :)

You already have the new head but if you do want to repair the old one the valve guides are still available from Yamaha.

Back