Reducing LOUD exhaust noise with db killers

motoTrooper

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey y'all gather 'round while I tell thee a tale of broken eardrums and pissed of peoples...

So I'm finishing up my build:
http://www.xs400.com/threads/riven-motors-cafe-build.13403/
Riding around and addressing all the small issues that only show themselves while testing the bike on the road. Now while I like a snap/crackle/growl, and boom to the exhaust, there can be too much of a good thing. In keeping with the budget aspect of the build, I bought some EMGO reverse cone megaphone mufflers.

Love the look of them and I tried to pre-mitigate the noise and reduced back pressure by welding on the smaller outlet plates from the original mufflers to the perf core outlet plates. Riding around they were too loud. So I repacked the cores (which had a laughable amount of fiberglass) with some quality FMF mat.
DSC03362.JPG

Still too loud. So I bought some db killers. I sized the perf core inlet at 48mm and got those in the longest length they had. (By now the FMF mat had settled and I was able to slip the cores out without disturbing the mat.)

I wanted to use as much length of the killer as possible butting it inside the tip against the perf core.

So I removed a 1/2" of the base to slide it in further.

in place

I drilled three evenly spaced holes around the tip, plug welded the killer in place, and flap wheeled the welds flush.

I then slipped the cores back into the muffler bodies and installed the cone ends.

Now I was able to measure how much killer length I had to remove to fit into the header pipes before hitting the walls where they curve up. So took about an inch off and installed the screw-in plug bit orienting it so the bolt is on top to help prevent it from backing out during vibration.

So measured empirical results: using a Realistic Sound Meter from 4 feet behind the bike, I measured 95db at 1500 rpm before the killers. With the killers in place I measured 92db at 1500 rpm. Doesn't sound like much? Well the db scale is logarithmic so for every 10 db in scale the sound is twice as loud. So I'm guessing I reduced the noise by 30% from twice as loud? I don't know nor do I care. It's loud still but not embarrassingly so. So success!

Thanks @motoTrooper! Too many people mistakenly believe that "loud pipes save lives". They don't.

Example 1: The loud pipes typically blast their noise backwards. Only people beside or behind the bike get assaulted by the noise. Not the car/truck/van/SUV in front that can't hear you, yet...

Example 2: There is a "biker bar" in town. There are often 10 or more "customized" cruisers or choppers (chrome pony's) parked out front on sunny days. The owner of this bar was (2 years ago) air lifted to hospital after he hit a car that backed out onto the road in front of him. His obnoxiously loud pipes didn't help the driver of the car hear or see him. Neither did his flat black bike and helmet, or black leather jacket and chaps. The good news is he can now walk again, sort of, with the assistance of prescription pain killers and a cane. Ever seen the TV show "House"? Like the main character, only in reality. He hasn't ridden since.

What loud pipes actually do is annoy everyone else. And they complain to by-law enforcement, police, and elected officials. Who then harass every motorcyclist and enact tougher laws against motorcycles. Before you whine about cars, trucks, stereos, etc. that are also a nuisance, let me tell you that they are also being targeted. Someone else's wrong does't justify yours. I'm writing this from my below ground basement office and just heard 4 or 5 bikes thunder down the main street that is 500m / 0.3 mi away....

Couldn't agree more on that issue Dave brought just brought up. I met some sport bike riders this weekend at bike night downtown. It's safe to say we can throw the stereotypical "sport bike guys" in that category as well. Loud pipes, annoying personalities and even worse, extremely reckless riding. They are one ride away from a funeral if you ask me. They are the reason other motorists can't stand motorcycles. Right now, here in Texas, more people are getting motorcycle licenses than ever before. I hope they don't end up like the guys in Dave's posted video (LOL)

Hey Trooper this might sound like a derp question but the bolt on the end, does that go through your headers? e.g. did you drill a hole in your headers and put the bolt through it to secure the silencer?

I bought the same shortys for my xs360 build and its abit obscene the noise they produce, safe to safe my neighbours aren't that impressed

Back