Regulator/rectifier

Guy888

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new to the group so go easy

I'm currently rebuilding a 1981 xs250 and need a upgraded regulator/rectifier. I’ve tried searching the web loads and asked lots of questions to the sellers on eBay but no one wants to say “yes the one will work for you”!!!!

Can anyone recommend one to me? I’m also changing the battery to a lithium ion too. The bike as already been converted to a brat style but I’m wanting to put my own twist on.

Any help will be appreciated,

thanks

G

Haven't bought one myself but have seen lots of people post their difficulties getting them to work for 400s.

First up, what issues are you having that make you think you need a new regulator?

As for the reg/rec:
Many sellers will list a reg/rec as working for xs400s, with no clarification about which years are compatible.
The wiring changed between the earlier years and later years with electronic regulators.
Not too familiar with the 250s but I imagine it must have had an electronic regulator.
If so anything listed for 1979+ XS400s should work, including the stock combo units on DOHC bikes.
Some members have used the "RR38" but I believe it is designed for the earlier wiring scheme. Could be made to work with some slight rewiring of the field coil.
A couple members have done it and posted about it.

Combo units for entirely different bikes could work as long as the bikes used field coils that were wired between the positive supply and

Back