Remove speedometer gears in drum brake?

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I want to give those gears/area a good cleaning and re-greasing but i cant seem to figure out how to take the gears out. I figured out how to remove the bigger gear by taking out the circlip but how do I remove the gear that the cable plugs into. This is on a 1980 xs400g. Thanks in advance.

P.S. When I am up to re-greasing will the blue marine bearing grease work?

why not spray inside with solvent?

I think that they are held by a pin from the ou side. I don't have drums, but yam tend to do the same thing to all their bikes of the era.

Thanks For the reply and Because stupid me already painted it and the solvent will destroy the paint:doh:

I can't seem to find a clip but I also can't pull it out. Maybe I need a better tool than a needle nose?

Its not a clip but a internal pin, it might be on the inside of the brake plate as I just stripped a cb250KO TLS and that was in there under the muck

Having a similar problem where the speedo gear is binding. I can't get the gear out and I can't find any 1mm pin. Can anyone post a pic of what I am looking for or advise me on how to remove the speedometer gear? Thanks in advance.

Back