replacing front brake hose

knightowl

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Bought a new front brake master cylinder for my '81 xs400 and figured I might as well do a new brake hose while I'm at it, since the stock is too long with the drag bars I put on. Easier said than done. Almost all are stock length or silver, which isn't a total deal breaker if I can't find something else. Found a SS braided hose in black from Slingshot cycles for an rd400 (they offer options for custom bars) and was wondering if anyone on here knows if the brake hoses for the two are compatible, or if anyone has any other ideas for finding brake hoses that come in custom lengths.

$150 for a single line? That is outrageous! A local shop quoted me $35. 2 black fittings and 950mm black PVC coated SS braided line. It would be worth your time to shop around!

Two 'AN' banjo fittings and a braided line bought at the length you need should be about $35

Edit- Sorry, didn't see the post above :)

I used HEL brake lines on my 07 YZ250F and loved the quality/fit of them, so I bought a front line for my XS. Haven't rode with it, but lever feel is way better than rubber line... and the fit was good (81 XS with drag bars). Plus, you can get them with different hose color and fitting color.

http://helusa.com/store/index.php?cPath=77

not the best pic I have of it on the bike, but it's the best one I have on file.

IMG_16271_zps306d27e0.jpg

That's stock length. I sent them my stock line and they replicated it. I'm sure if you sent them yours and said you wanted it xInches shorter, they would do it no problem. They have fantastic customer service.

Back