representing Croatia :)

jordi

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Greetings from Croatia,

I recently bought XS400 (1984.) form a guy who had a project with his grandfather. I like what they done with it and plan to do some modifications on my own. Came across this forum and I already saw that it will be very helpful in the future.

At the moment I'm driving into this bike trying to feel it more and see what I'll need to do.
I already fixed the carb and some minor issues.

Planing to put some exhaust wrap, change the clutch/brake lever, remove two 80 mm gauges and put one 60 mm. Oil temp gauge, and some other minor things.

I'm not into mechanics cause it's a summer and I don't won't to spend it in garage but I will have to do something about fuel consumption. Last refill show it takes 7+ L /100km (2 gallons / 60M). Already found some good advice on the forum and I'll try to deal with it in October.
That's all for now... Looking forward reading this forum.
viewer.php
[/URL][/IMG]

thats a nice seca build!

welcome to the forum :)
For the fuel consumption, you should consider a carb sync and idle mixture adjustment at the very least. If you want to do it well, do a valve clearance check before.

Welcome to the Forum
... I will have to do something about fuel consumption. Last refill show it takes 7+ L /100km (2 gallons / 60M) ...
You should definitely be doing better than that. My 5-spd Maxim consistently got 21-22 kms per litre of (91 octane/no ethanol) gas and you should easily be able to get close to that unless you weigh a lot more than my 70kg.

Welcome Jordi!

I wouldn't bother with an oil temp gauge unless it is for fun. I have one and have yet to see the oil get over 95C, which isn't very hot. My fuel mileage is just above 5L/100km which I don't consider very good. But I jetted rich in the fall for riding in cold weather and am in the process of reducing the jetting. The DOHC engines don't require as large jets as the SOHC engines. I'd suggest 135 main jets and 42.5 pilot jets as a good starting point. This site has good instructions on how to tune our carbs. You may also want to mount your pod filters on stacks to avoid any possible problems. I wrote instructions on how to do this in this thread.

Thank you all for a warm wellcome and good advices. Looking forward in participating in this forum with advices from my side also :)

True, I found some on Internet but not for seca. Just looking on bike don't know where to put the pegs. Like I said, bought it recently so if anyone have some advice or example I would be thankful. Cheers

The Maxim, using the same basic frame, has the controls forward of where they are on the Seca. I am sure by "forward controls", you mean forward even of where they are on the Maxim.
However, taking a look at one might be a starting point for you in terms of figuring out how to adapt a set to the Seca.

There are vertical bolt holes on the front of the engine that are used when mounting an engine crash guard. I'm sure you could use these as a starting point when designing and building your forward controls.

Good thought.
The "problem" with both the Maxim and Seca is that there isn't really any traditional frame forward of where the Maxim controls are mounted - so something unconventional would have to be done.
Before you charge ahead though, what exactly are you trying to achieve? If it is fully eoperating the transmission and rear brake all while sitting in the laid back "cruising" position, then you will have to do a full custom fabrication.
If, however, you simply want to relax into the "cruising" position once on the open road, foot-rest cruising pegs mounted to a crash bar is all you need for that - not the same thing as full controls, true, but just easy bolt-ons.

Well I am 187 cm tall (6'3?) and as you can see on the photo seat looks litlle bit lower than standard so driving my legs are pulled litlle bit back. I would like to have it full operating cause it's much more confortable. Will it be to much for the engine if I put it instead of engine guard?

Took one free afternoon to do some modifications. I removed two massive (8cm) speedos and put one smaller (6cm). I was thinking of removing the lock and installing it in the middle but I like it this way. Also I realy like the lights on this one. On old ones I had only stop and high beam but no neutral and side indicators were conected to beping sound wich I hated. It was like riding a vespa. I fixed electricity which was done poorly by privious owner and manage to released a lot's of power. Also fuel consumption went down (5L / 100km). Guess it wasnt the carb problems. Also i straped pipes but not fully content with resault cause it looks like a broken arm. This would be it till winter :) here are before and after picsuploadfromtaptalk1408816423587.jpguploadfromtaptalk1408816437465.jpg

Back