"retro" tires any good?

DanD

XS360 Owner
Reaction score
I'm probably opening a can of worms here... but my stock tires are old. I like them, but they need to go.

I have a dunlop k70 for the rear, and was thinking of matching it with a duro hf319 for the front...just because they look like a set. The dunlop does not come in the right size for the front. Is mismatching rubber brands a real issue? Anybody drive on these?

Are these retro tires worth it? Do people have some suggestions for good tires that are the same size as stock or a little bigger (I think too big will mess with handling and fitment).

As long as you have close to stock sizes, a proper front and rear, and decent quality, you'll be ok.
Dunlop will be good quality. Duros are pretty cheap.
I have a set on my 360 but have barely put any miles on them at all. Others have said they wear quickly.

Worth it? Modern tires with modern treads will likely perform better in every way.
But they won't look "vintage" or retro.
Which quality makes a tire "worth it" is subjective and up to you.

Get the stock size and in a modern street style. If you are going to ride the bike it will handle the best with them. They don't need to be the same brand, but if you can get them do it.

Thanks for the advice.

So you are saying that the modern rubber or construction is not what makes modern tires better, it is the modern tread design? Or maybe retro-looking tires are also made in more retro ways - meaning we should pay attention to the speed ratings, I guess.

I have no idea, but when I look at more retro tread designs, it seems like they might be better for places with the odd gravelly patch. Our streets here are often sandy (not cleaned well) and sometimes I have to drive a little on dirt roads. Do modern street designs do well with this? They don't look like they would. Retros look like they would fare better, but I have no idea in the real world.

Back