Tire recos for 1979 XS400 restore - Classic look & performance

BurntTimber

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm continuing to work on the restore of my '79 XS400. It has spoked 18s front and rear and tire sizes of 3.00-18 front and 3.50-18 rear (the stock tires are still on this bad boy).

So, what's my best option for balancing ride performance and tread wear, while keeping a classic look? Right now, here are the tires I'm considering:

• IRC GS-11 (stock sizing)
  • Duro HF319 (stock sizing)
  • Avon AM26 90/90-18 & 110/90-18
  • Bridgestone Spitfire S11 100/90-18 & 120/90-18(not stock sizing so not sure if anyone has experience with fitment on these, little nervous to be going off design spec)

Feedback on the above, or other classic recommendations with good fitment appreciated.

Last edited:
If you are going to ride the bike stick with stock size tires. Use a modern style tire design as it will hold the road better than what they had back in the day. I have used kenda, irc and shinko tires with good results.

I'm going to be riding it, but would like to keep with the classic styling. Really just trying to find a balance of a classic looking tread with some decent performance.

There is a reason why bikes are no longer sold with those type tires anymore:wink2: Unless the bike is going to restored for show I would use modern tires. Post a few pics of your bike:)

If you want tire performace try Bridgestone BT 45, they don´t look too bad and they are great to ride. In Europe they´re said to be best tires for bikes from the 70s to the 90s. I use them on my RD 250, my friend Marcel uses them on a TX 750, my nephew Leo uses then on a Kawasaki ER-5 Twister. They´re great.

Viele Grüße aus Wuppertal, Uli

The IRCs are pretty good, modern compound and look like what came stock. That's all I've used on your list so can't comment on the others.

Back